Taggy's Icecream in Heeley

crumpy

Sorry Rubydazzler, no such luck. If I had I be out there making a fortune in my own icecream business.

Pity ... I'd definitely buy some from you ...

But, I sometimes wonder if it was really as good as it seemed at the time. There was really only that awful yellow Walls "icecream" blocks to compare it with.

I say this as some other stuff I really used to drool over, tasting it as an adult, after being desparate to find some, it was really not as nice as I remembered :(

Does anyone remember when Walls ice cream came round with a fridge on wheels on the front of a bicycle. The slogan stop me and buy one was printed on the fridge part. Sno fruits, a tall triangular shaped lolly were lovely. But I still preferred taggys.

Pity ... I'd definitely buy some from you ...

But, I sometimes wonder if it was really as good as it seemed at the time. There was really only that awful yellow Walls "icecream" blocks to compare it with.

I say this as some other stuff I really used to drool over, tasting it as an adult, after being desparate to find some, it was really not as nice as I remembered :(

I think it was just as good you as you remember, both my husband's family and my brother-in-laws family would only buy Taggy's. I can even remember my grandma buying Taggy's - now that is a great honour - she said it was only second to her Mums.

Wasnt there a thread on this earlier, possibly even last year, and someone said that the recipe had died with the last member of the family?

apparently Taggy (the guy who owned it) had it buried with him, only he knew the recipe, He didn't pass it on to any family members, So sadly when Taggy died so did the icecream.

We went to Somerset last week and we had some icecream that was made from sheeps milk and that tasted very much like Taggys.....perhaps that was his secret!!

If you read the thread that was on this site a few months ago I posted a few details re the family.

Ernest Battle was 'Taggy', he along with his sister Mabel sold the ice cream, brother John made it. Ernest's wife used to be in the shop. I believe that when John died the ice cream business closed. Mabel Battle had died some time before.

We had moved to Canada before the business closed. My favourites were the Jam sandwich or the chocolate wafer sandwich.

Cheers, Cynthia, Ontario, Canada.

Archived