Shades on Ecclesall Road

PHILIP

Yes I remember Shades nightclub,

I met some mates from work there,the year was about 1970/1 Sat night, I remember it focused on Soul/Blues/Mowtown ,quite a few afro/carabeans used to frequent the club, from what I remember I had a good night,very freindly crowd, no trouble. we walked back into town down eccy road to get our Taxi in Fitzalan Square. all had a great night without getting Blotto. can the young uns do that nowadays? Happy Times.

• 2 years later...

I visited Shades many times in 1969/1970 enjoying the music and atmosphere. I travelled around 80 miles round trip from Linby in Nottinghamshire and considered this quite normal for a good night out. However I am now seeking the help of a reggae music expert as I remember a record called "serious love" but cannot remember the name of the recording artist. This was played by the DJ from time to time who would often say to the night clubbers " please please please no sexy dancing " it was all great fun. Does anyone out there know the answer ? please help.

I visited Shades many times in 1969/1970 enjoying the music and atmosphere. I travelled around 80 miles round trip from Linby in Nottinghamshire and considered this quite normal for a good night out. However I am now seeking the help of a reggae music expert as I remember a record called "serious love" but cannot remember the name of the recording artist. This was played by the DJ from time to time who would often say to the night clubbers " please please please no sexy dancing " it was all great fun. Does anyone out there know the answer ? please help.

B side of "African Melody" by G.G.All Stars?

• 7 months later...

Hi, by the time SHADES was running as a club, the cinema had become the Greystones Bingo Club, so we couldn't start the music till they'd finished the last game... The dancehall was originally built for tea-dances and had a 'sprung' floor for ballroom dancing, so it was a great place to dance all night.

We had Nurses night on Tuesdays as well as the student night on Wednesdays, and I think Max was West African, not Jamaican. I worked there as DJ for about 9 months in 1969, but Max bought all the records, so the choice of music wasn't really mine... I moved to Essex in 1970 and lost contact with everyone, but I'd love to hear from anyone who remembers those times. All the best, Graham.

Archived