Sheffield Guitarists

Timbuck

Originally posted by Bushbaby

Frank still plays regular gigs at The Pheasant - Lane Top. Usually last Friday of the month, but check beforehand. He also does Jazz gigs at Ruskins (Posh wine bar near Crucible)

Don't know about Dave Hopper though

thanks bushbaby. i've made a note of it. i will make enpuiries as to when he is next playing at sheffield lane top.

Frank deserves more recognition for his work. Why that Clapton dullard is revered the world over and Frank isn't is just criminal. When I first went to see him I was simply expecting a competent blues gig, I wasn't expecting to hear the passion and range of styles (Jazz, Country, Funk etc) that I did. It hurt when my jaw hit the floor! He plays a blistering rock guitar, has a great voice and has that X factor that all great performers have, something that touches and transports you and is impossible to put into words.

• 2 months later...

I can definitely say Roy ledger is stll playing...he goes out as a solo artist doing pubs and clubs. His argument being that "drummers are always late" "Bass players too loud" "And MP3 players don't need paid"

That said he still plays the 345 Stereo Gibson he bought in 1963 and does a mind blowing cover of Garry Moore's "Parissiene Walkways"

he keeps threatening to get a band together ... he did one June evening earlier this year when he put a scratch band together for an old pals B'day party.Kenny Slade got up and played drums on a couple of numbers

I accompanied him to a great evening at "Park and Arbethorne club earlier this month...where there were droves of musicians he knew from the sixites... Including Dave Hopper and Frank White

Perhaps this year he'll put his plectrum where his mouth is and go public with a band...he already has a bass player and drummer lined up keen to back him and a nagging partner living with him who thinks its a total waste of his talent not to be playing "proper live music!!"

Originally posted by _mojo_pin

Frank deserves more recognition for his work. Why that Clapton dullard is revered the world over and Frank isn't is just criminal. When I first went to see him I was simply expecting a competent blues gig, I wasn't expecting to hear the passion and range of styles (Jazz, Country, Funk etc) that I did. It hurt when my jaw hit the floor! He plays a blistering rock guitar, has a great voice and has that X factor that all great performers have, something that touches and transports you and is impossible to put into words.

Absolutely right.

But He IS world famous among guitarists, just not the general public. The reason for this is that he is a wonderful live performer and tremendous guitarist. But have you ever heard his albums? I'm sorry but not very memorable at all.

If he were a great writer, as well as performer then he would have gone the same way as Clapton.

I worked for a short time at Johnson Electrics (circa '71). At that time the shop was on Eccelsall road in Berkley Precinct, but then moved onto London Road.

We used to get quite a few guitarists from the local bands in who would pass away the time blowing us away on the instruments we had. However my fondest memories was one of the other guys that used to work there (his name was Jim - cannot remember his surname) - he could make those axes talk - I particular remember him playing some amazing blues and Led Zepp solos.

Does anyone remember him? - and if so, whatever happened to him? - I know he used to play in a band before he worked in the shop and I think was going to join one again once his new born baby had grown a little.

Has anyone heard anything of Dave Green an excellent Bass guitarist who played in numerous bands in the sixties?...Roy my partner is keen to make contact with him.

Update on some of the other names mentioned Roy Barber and Dave cannon died some time ago and george Gill was living in France the last that Roy heard!!

I remember Dave Green, a nice bloke he used to play a stick bass at one time (like a double bass but without the wood just the neck and the spike at the bottom) He played with lots of sheffield bands like the "Twin Cities Beat boys" and with Joe Cocker's Grease band untill Joe got famous and dave became redundant..I have never heard of him since I left Sheffield...."George Gill", I first met him in the Cannon Hall pub at Page Hall in the 60's when he was playing there with a local band he was about 17 years old, when I told him that I also was playing a guitar..He replyed " I'm Mad about guitars do you have any chords or bits that you can teach me" I declined co's he was far more advanced than I was in guitar playing"..He went to France and met a geogeous "French Bird"and he married her..He lived with her in pitsmoor for awhile..I left Sheffield about then and I've never heard his name mentioned till now..I hope he's still around...By the way is your mate "Roy Ledger".

Originally posted by _mojo_pin

Just because Frank White is a gifted guitar player, that doesn't make Clapton a bad one! Let's not be silly about this.

I'll concede that Clapton's albums have become tailored to the bland US FM radio market in recent years, but that doesn't take away anything from his legacy. His influence is incalculable and he has done more for the blues than almost anyone else alive.

With John Mayall he brought blues guitar to the masses. With Cream he virtually invented heavy metal and his early solo career was hugely influential. It's just not possible (or fair) to compare him to Frank White who is, let's face it, basically a talented pub guitarist, with very little influence outside Sheffield.

Archived