Sheffield Guitarists

Timbuck

Timbuck Wildfire is my partner...she's just told me about this forum...looks like a great way to renew old contacts.

I still play regularly round the pubs and clubs as a solo artist. I use the 345 stereo Gibson I bought in my early days with "The Sheffields" to replace the old Colourama that I started my career with.

I'm being hassled by Mal Hooley a very close friend to get myself in gear to put a "Proper band" together . Two drummers have also voiced interest...Steve Mitchell aka Bubbles and John Reilly!! Who knows what 2005 will bring!!

There is no doubt that Frank White's reputation spreads a lot further than Sheffield. I first heard about him in a pub in Hampshire run by Herbie Armstrong(Ex lead guitarist with Van Morrison) he regarded Frank technically as a far superior guitarist to Eric Clapton but said that Frank was also very much his "own man" and would have found it hard to cope with the pressues placed on commercial musicians by agencies and management companies.

I do believe that Frank has often been heard to say "They'll wait for me old boy" and is not the best at turning up in time for gigs!!

One then has to ask the question Would he have been better off if he had "Made it"?

Fame is not everything and Frank is obviously very close to his family and very much in control of his own life.

I've seen him on numerous occasions ... he's been brilliant on some nights... my hairs stand on end when he plays "Louisiana" a number that really suits his gravelly voice.

There have been nights... usually those when he is aware of other guitarists in the audience when he seems reluctant to fully display his true skills.

One theory I've heard is that he is wary of them copying some of his unique techniques !!

Oh dear, I understand that as the partner of a "singer/guitarist" you are obviously trying to drum up some enthusiasm and give him a little publicity on the forum but does that really have to include smearing a respected guitarist such as Frank White (even if it was wrapped around with some praise). Do I hear the sound of sour grapes being regurgitated.

Rainbow ... if you interpreted my posting as sour grapes I need to rethink my literacy skills. I have carefully reread my posting and I reckon the positive comments outway the negative!!

There is no doubt that Frank White is one of the best guitarists in the world. Others in this thread have described him as no better than an "excellent pub musician" yet you did not jump on them!!

I also tried to point out that in his own way Frank is a very successful and happy man. If one looks at the lifestyle and history of many guitarists who have "made it" many are pushing up the daisies after dying at a very early age and other live as recluses... Van Morrison being a prime example.

I admire Frank not only for his musical skills but also his obvious devotion to his family.Both his son and daughter are often seen on stage with him and his wife is often in the audience. He is also very commited to his chosen religion.

He is a strong character who has never submitted to the temptation of commercial gain.

He is very much the richer for it!!

• 3 months later...

I went to two of the reformed McCloskeys Apocolypse gigs at the working mans club on Ecclesall Rd cos my step dad was mates with them in the 60s and used to follow them around taking photographs at gigs etc.

Very strange musically and lyrically - one that stood out was about parking boys in Nigeria! Parking boys, we are, we are ,we are parking boys......... :loopy:

Have also heard the legendary stories about Ray eating pint pots, drinking ashtrays etc while on stage. Nothing so exciting at the newer gigs tho, think singing while riding a unicycle was the highlight.

Not so apocolyptic now! Don't tell em i said that tho! :bigsmile:

Originally posted by Timbuck

In the sixties Sheffield had some great guitar players..Frank White, Dave Hawley, Dave Hopper, Phil Crooks, Frank Miles, George Gill, Roy Barber, Roy Ledger, Mick Grimes, Peter York, Plus others, who's names I can't remember.. ..where are they now are they still playing ?

Timbuck

Unfortunatlely I believe Roy Barber passed away quite suddenly a couple of years ago.

Mogbad

Agree with all that's been said about Frank White, but does everybody realise what a wealth of other guitarist talent there is around Sheffield these days?

Guitarists such as Harris Nixon (Carnival and Sour Mash), Ian and JJ from Mag 7 spring to mind, as well as other bands that are on the pub circuit locally.

Check out the jam sessions at The Woodseats pub any Sunday afternoon - no entry fee, the muso's do it for bugger-all and everybody has a great time as well.

Originally posted by RiffRaff

Agree with all that's been said about Frank White, but does everybody realise what a wealth of other guitarist talent there is around Sheffield these days?

Guitarists such as Harris Nixon (Carnival and Sour Mash), Ian and JJ from Mag 7 spring to mind, as well as other bands that are on the pub circuit locally.

Check out the jam sessions at The Woodseats pub any Sunday afternoon - no entry fee, the muso's do it for bugger-all and everybody has a great time as well. [/quote No doubt about it Frank W hite is a brilliant guitarist, but how long is this debate going to go on without a mention for Phil Brodieanother one of sheffield,s greats.

Well its good to see there is still some frank white fans out there. I first saw frank in (wait for it) 1969 playing in the ancholme inn at brigg north lincolnshire, he was a bit wild then.

We came across him again when visiting sheffield about 10 years ago, we have seen him a few times at the pheasant, including 2 of his "final gigs". The last time we saw him was at the riverside playing with a band called "dixie chicken", it turned out to be a very good night. My wife thinks his "sunshine of your love" is the best, but i have to stay with his louisiana although all the tracks he does are brilliant. We are in sheffield again this weekend -1st /2nd april and it would good to see him again, does anyone know if he is playing anywhere please ?

Just a final word, if you like blues music you ought to try the upton blues festival in worcestershire in july, its a very good 3 day free event

from spotlite....

Archived