The John Banner shop in The Wicker

Hello,

I remember Banners on Attercliffe road very well, but it was not in the Wicker. The first time I ever rode on an escalator was at Banner's. Remember the stair treads were all made of wood.

It was one of several good shops along there. Anybody remember a very good drapery shop, I think called Chapman's. It was on the same side as Banner's, between the Palace and Worksop Road. People used to come from all over town to buy materials there.

Falls

As a kid in the early sixties I remember going into the Banner shop in the Wicker not far from the bridge. I recall some sort of funny money tokens being used shaped not unlike old threepenny bits, being placed in air tubes and whizzed around the shop, a bit like Tesco do nowadays but not half as much fun to watch as they were then.

I hope this really did happen and is not a figment of my imagination or the effects of drinking home made Russian wine whilst in the Royal Navy!!!

Anyone else remember BANNERS?

Jack Bowler

-------------------------------------------------------

Hello jackbowler.

I think you will find out that the shop you are on about is "schweizer's" shop they also had a shop at 611 Attercliffe Road. I say also, as they were 2 brothers. The shop in the wicker after closing, moved to snigg hill.

There was only the 1 john Banners which was on Attercliffe, this grew from a single story building in 1894 which grew to the larger store in 1933. he died July 7th 1930 aged 80 years old.

Yes, John Banners was very popular now I think back, I thought it was down the moor though, guess not.

Hello poppins

You guessed correctly, as there was only the 1 john Banners which was on Attercliffe, this grew from a single story building in 1894 which grew to the larger store in 1933. he died July 7th 1930 aged 80 years old.

I remember a Banners on Attercliffe Road?? The tokens were part of a system whereby you got a cheque from a lender (loanee?) which could only be used at Banners. Any change from using the cheque had to be tokens (no cash). I think that's how it went can anyone verify?

PS that is how most of us kids got Whitsuntide clothes.

Hello nanrobbo.

you are correct there about the banners tokens.

bluebird62

Yes, John Banners was very popular now I think back, I thought it was down the moor though, guess not.

The air tubes were made by Lamson Paragon. I once worked in a shop that had them and I put the cannister in the tube without closing it. The money went all over, and the firm of Steel, Peach & Tozer had to be called out to put it all back to normal. I got told off, but as I hated the rotten place, I couldn't have cared less. It wan not Banners by the way.

You remember almost correctly, It was on the right hand side just pass the junction of Attercliffe Rd and Staniforth Rd going out towards Rotherham. If I remember correctly it was a mini department store complete with escalators

Hello alan

Banners was not a mini department store. It was a full department store, no one need to go into town to do their shopping, you could get anything from a sewing needle to a wardrobe to a carpet for your home.

It was Jacksons on the lower ground which was a mini market selling toys, kitchenware, and stationery, drink and food.

Ground floor was womens fashions and the shoe department.Gloves.

2nd floor, was the Mens department, and some of the ladies underware, and curtains.

3rd floor were the beds and bedroom furniture along with the gressing gowns and father christmas at christmas time,

i apologise if i have missed something out, please contact me if you know what it is. thanks.

Archived