Best kebabs in sheff

ianbenjis

Why does everybody go on about Elif?

The last time I was in there, they were serving kebabs in bought-in pitta breads - this is NOT how it should be.

Where Fladenbrot (that's the German name for Turkish flatbread, don't know what it is in Turkish) isn't available, then the only alternative is Naan bread. Pitta (unless it's the real, larger, freshly made Middle Eastern version not the British fake stuff) just isn't up to the job.

A good kebab shop will cook a fresh Naan to order for its kebabs. I must admit, I haven't been back to Elif (why would I?) since that and they may have changed.

Anywhere that serves frozen pitta breads should be boycotted, it's inexcusable.

NEKH serve kebabs in freshly made Naans as do Kebabish on the Wicker.

Defstef -

If I understand your post to which you have linked, you seem to be suggesting that a chicken kebab isn't a kebab, but a sandwich.

Kebab refers to the way in which the meat (or veg or fish) is cooked, not the way in which it is served and eaten.

Many cuisines serve kebabs with rice and yoghurt without bread at all.

for a kebab place in hillsborough i would recommend Marios on middlewood road had the meal deal the other week with my fella, included a donor kebab and chicken kebab. both lovely and not greasy at all. The chicken one was a spicy chicken which not be to all tastes but we both liked it. Both served in a freshly cooked on site thin nann bread.

Only problem was that there were loads of it! my boyfriend thought it was great-but his eyes are bigger than his belly lol. :)

Murdochs on Division Street. End of discussion.

My mate swears by Murdochs. He's too thin to have a good taste in food!!:hihi:

Never rated them, the meat actually tastes like lamb. That's not what I'm after in a Kebab!! Give me the stuff that you have no idea what it's made of.

Used to like Milan's on Chesterfield Road until about a year ago. Then they changed their chilli sauce to something hotter, but with no flavour. Nowhere near as good now.

Oh, outside Sheffield, Ellies was good.

Defstef -

If I understand your post to which you have linked, you seem to be suggesting that a chicken kebab isn't a kebab, but a sandwich.

Kebab refers to the way in which the meat (or veg or fish) is cooked, not the way in which it is served and eaten.

Many cuisines serve kebabs with rice and yoghurt without bread at all.

err... yep. Made this concession on that same thread over two years ago, when similarly challenged:

def stef you have unveiled your lack of kebab knowledge to the world, for it is not the meat which makes it a kebab it is the fact it is cooked on a skewer, chicken kebabs are far more tastier too....

I concede to your *proper* definition (although the Oxford dictionary definition also allows for meat cooked on a spit as well as a skewer, as in the vertical case of a rotating donner trunk). I just think that 'kebab' should by default refer to a donner, for reasons I can't quite explain. Fish kebabs, too, are lovely.

Incidentally, Jannath off West Street do what they term a "mix kebab". Their wares differ from those offered by Elif (Turkish in orgin) or other kebab houses (which might be Greek or otherwise balkan) in that they originate from Northern India and Pakistan. The "mix kebab" dish consists of a highly spicy sheekh kebab (a spicy sausage made of lamb), a shami kebab (a burger-like patty, which doesn't look like it has ever been on a skewer or spit) and an onion bhaji.

Keep up.

There are also ethical reasons why lamb is better than chicken, namely that it's pretty hard to mistreat lamb. I'd happily pay extra for free range chicken, but I understand that takeaways have to take the position that enough customers would pay the extra to make this a viable option. Anyway, I digress...

Why does everybody go on about Elif?

The last time I was in there, they were serving kebabs in bought-in pitta breads - this is NOT how it should be.

I think it's obvious that you basically weren't in Elif! I've been going to Elif for many, many years, and they've always made the turkish flatbread while I was there. Are you sure you've got the right place? I've never known anyone be served a kebab in a pitta bread from Elif, so that's the only conclusion I can draw from your frankly bizarre assertion!

Archived