Bent's Green Open Air School

Yes, they started the refurbishment just before Christmas, part is to be refurbished and part is to be demolished to build onto the old building. A new entrance along with a much bigger carpark is currently underway. I believe that the rebuild will take a couple of years but, it looks as though it will be a much better purpose build than the original.

what will happen to the beautful marble staircase !!!!

1953 -I can remember the staircase, they used to hang our ribbone on the gate (we were never allowed to go through the gate and up to the next floor, probably where the ghosts live!!) It was a very wide staircase but at 8 I wouldn't have known marble from clay! I'm in Sheffield in the summer, I wonder if the renovaters would let me have a look round I could do with burying a few bad memories.

Hi everyone. Its really sad to hear some people had bad experiences at BGS. I did eight years there from 1966 to 74 and absolutely loved it. I wasn't a boarder but the staff were lovely. A few I remember were; Mr Bailey the best headmaster ever! Mr Vardy (dep head) Mr Fallowes (woodwork) Mr Heward (still there) Mr Orgill (in the 'terrapins' before the 'new' school was built) Mrs Rowlands, Mr Lambert (caretaker) Mr Pope (gardener) Mrs Seddon (secretary)Does anyone remember Mr Copestake - the dentist?!. Holidays to Fraisethorpe, Trip to wembley to watch England boys. We had a fantastic reunion last year and hope to arrange another soon - anyone interested please get in touch. Mr Bailey sadly passed away a few years ago, his wife and daughter Fiona live at Biddulph moor.

Hi everyone. Its really sad to hear some people had bad experiences at BGS. I did eight years there from 1966 to 74 and absolutely loved it. I wasn't a boarder but the staff were lovely. A few I remember were; Mr Bailey the best headmaster ever! Mr Vardy (dep head) Mr Fallowes (woodwork) Mr Heward (still there) Mr Orgill (in the 'terrapins' before the 'new' school was built) Mrs Rowlands, Mr Lambert (caretaker) Mr Pope (gardener) Mrs Seddon (secretary)Does anyone remember Mr Copestake - the dentist?!. Holidays to Fraisethorpe, Trip to wembley to watch England boys. We had a fantastic reunion last year and hope to arrange another soon - anyone interested please get in touch. Mr Bailey sadly passed away a few years ago, his wife and daughter Fiona live at Biddulph moor.

I'm so saddened to hear that Mr Bailey has passed away. he was an utter Gem. like you say, the best, of the best, of the best, IMO.

Mr Vardy and Mr Heward are two teachers I remember from my sister's time at BGS.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mike i was there at the same time as you are saying. Mr bailey was always nice. Mr vardy was very strict but also kind. Mr orgil was one of my favorite teachers as well as miss jones. I was there as well as my sister. Mrs walker was a housemother and a lot of others I remember. Was you a daily or resident. All the memories I have of bents green was the best days of my childhood. I remember the camping to fraisthorpe in the 6 week holidays. I was there when mr baileys dog who was called dusty died. I was so upset crying most of the night. Well I went back last year for a look around. The are making the old part refurbished but the other part being knocked down. I was sad to see the sunhouse had been demolished. Ha dgodd times in there. Also went and looked at the trees we used to play in. I took pictures of where i slept. Was a great thing for me to do and will be asking to go back again. Had things to put to rest in my mind. I do believe the staff were horrid back in the old days, lucky for me they changed by the time I was there. the big staircase is still the same. I felt odd walking up the stairs. Feeling the rails as I went along.

Odd how you feel when you wak round, kind of smiling to myself. A great place. I would do it all again if I could.

Edited by dearsue1

Hi Sue, Thanks for your reply, I have kept in touch with the old place and went back again about eighteen months ago with a reunion party including Mrs Seddon. Hoping to arrange another one this year let me know if you are interested. Heard today that Mrs Lobb has died, remember her? One of her daughters married Mr Fallowes the woodwork teacher. I remember Dusty as well!!!

Hi Sue, Thanks for your reply, I have kept in touch with the old place and went back again about eighteen months ago with a reunion party including Mrs Seddon. Hoping to arrange another one this year let me know if you are interested. Heard today that Mrs Lobb has died, remember her? One of her daughters married Mr Fallowes the woodwork teacher. I remember Dusty as well!!!

You'll not be able to visit the school this year as the building of the new school will take an estimated 2 years. This last week has seen almost all of the lower building at the back being demolished, just the main body of the school which fronts Ringinglow Road is now standing.

Yeah thanks for that but the Hammer & Pincers is still open!

Yes, the Hammer & Pincers is still there. The school looks strange because the demolition company have left a small part of the single storey building which is behind the main building and they've been stripping the roof so all that's left are a couple of outer walls, some roof rafters and the chimney.

At night all the lights are on in the main building even though lots of the windows are now gone.

A lot of the trees from the front have been felled to make the entrance wider and the front wall has been reduced accordingly.