Dispute with Fitness First (Millhouses)

ow do

i have been with fitness first at millhouses for nearly 2 years, with a small break in between. i phoned to cancel my contract with them the other day but they said i need to come down to sign, ok i thought.

i managed to get down today to be told that i needed to pay an extra month due to the fact that my month starts on the 1st of the month. so that means i have paid £30 pound on tuesday for aug and have to pay another £30 in sept for just 3 days. what a load of S#it this is. they can pro rata if when you start but they wont pro rata it when you finish.

has anyone had similar probs or have you got any suggestions.:mad: :mad:

greens pro-rata'd me and i'd been with them for just over a year.

Personally, i'd cancel the direct debit. Is it likely that they're going to incur what would probably be stupid cost for the sake of 30 or 40 quid?

I wouldn't, what is 30 or 40 quid compared to say 1000 memberships at 30 or 40 quid a time? Not worth bothering about.

Have a look at your terms before you do, just so you know where you stand if they start getting snooty about it.

Refuse to pay it, and if they start getting stroppy, threaten legal action, they'll soon back down.

Not if ow do has signed a contract agreeing to give a clear 30 days notice of cancellation, without which another month's subscription will be charged. It is probably covered in the T&C's which means there isn't much you can do about it.

I ran a self defence class at fatness 1st. as a new club people attending was slow to start. once the numbers built up they tried to double the room rental so I moved to Greens.. Far superior gym and the same size room was cheaper to hire than my original hire at fitness 1st. From what I saw and the way the place is run I would not worry and tell them to stick it !!!!!!!!

Welcome to the joke that is Fitness First.

The manager down there is called Michelle (unless they have changed in the past few months). Ask to speak to her.

I had a problem where I joined but left after a few days, utilising the 'try it or get your money back' deal. I never got my money back, and on reading the small print I found out that the £30 admin fee was non refundable. I complained and got a response from Michelle, who said she couldn't give me back what they owed me, but she would do me a special offer on half price joining fee! The cheek! You pay a joining fee and leave, but to join again you have to pay another joining fee!

I would urge anyone to think twice before joining these companies. You should not have to sign a 12 month contract for your health and fitness!!

i used to work in a 'private health club' as they are known, cancel your d/d they'll never chase it up for £30. it's all a big con, and worse still when you know it's a con but have to explain to the public why there's a joining fee. and then you wonder why they employ un-qualified, inexperienced instructors with all this money....

Archived