Dispute with Fitness First (Millhouses)

ow do

Speenie - :thumbsup: Someone else sees my point on joining fees!

I've also heard from 'sources' that they won't chase it up, it would cost them too much money. Why don't you turn the tables and lodge a small claim with MoneyClaim. You can try and claim back what they owe you.

I had exactly the same problem with Virgin Active back in August 2005. I cancelled the Direct Debit first, and then went to cancel membership with the gym the following day. I was told that I needed to pay for the following month’s membership as notice needs to be given for cancellations. I had missed the 16th of the month, the cut-off for cancellations going thought for that particular month. I didn’t tell them I’d cancelled the direct debit.

A few weeks later, I got a letter saying that if I didn’t pay them the £42 by coming into the gym, further proceedings would ensue. Reading the terms and conditions, it was obvious that I had no leg to stand on, so I went and paid them that day. Such a sad ending!

I personally think they would chase the debt. These companies tend to have debt recover departments. If your T&Cs state you must give a months warning, I believe they would take you to court and claim costs for breach of contract.

I had exactly the same problem with Virgin Active back in August 2005. I cancelled the Direct Debit first, and then went to cancel membership with the gym the following day. I was told that I needed to pay for the following month’s membership as notice needs to be given for cancellations. I had missed the 16th of the month, the cut-off for cancellations going thought for that particular month. I didn’t tell them I’d cancelled the direct debit.

A few weeks later, I got a letter saying that if I didn’t pay them the £42 by coming into the gym, further proceedings would ensue. Reading the terms and conditions, it was obvious that I had no leg to stand on, so I went and paid them that day. Such a sad ending!

Although they do tell you when you join that the 16th is the cut off date, in principal it is *^%%^$*£!

When you join VA, your details are put on a database, your pic is taken and a button is clicked for 'live membership'. When you leave, they click another button to state that the membership is not live. Even when you leave, your details are still in their database. I imagine that this is the same for most gyms, and is why I find it astonishing that most charge joining fees for 'admin costs' even when you rejoin.

Technically by paying that £42 you should have got one final months use of the gym. If you haven't, I would go in and ask for some free spa treatments or something!

"Hi *******

Thank you for your enquiry. If you wish to cancel your Membership you should

make and attend an appointment with the Member Services Manager of your Home

Club (or if there is not one, to your General Manager) and you should sign a

Departure Request Form. This form must be countersigned by the Member Services

Manager or General Manager as appropriate. If you are unable to attend your Home

Club you must write to the club General Manager.

If you are unable to attend your home club you must write to the club General

Manager. We recommend you send your letter by recorded delivery to ensure notice

of cancellation is received. For the avoidance of doubt, telephone cancellations

will not be accepted. If you are within the minimum contract period, notice may

be given to coincide with the end of that contract period.

You are required to give one full month’s notice of termination. In all cases,

the notice period will start from the end of the month in which cancellation is

notified.

Regards

James Burwell

Customer Services"

Archived