What's your earliest memory of starting school?

Wattsy

My first day was at Shirebrook in Woodhouse 1980. I remember a boy called Paul cos he had planes on his shirt and speech therapy on a Friday. My other memory of my first day was a drink of orange cordial, a buscuit and crying at the END of the day because i didn't want to go home. Am easily pleased - was very impressed with the orange and a buscuit! Same storey aged 5 after 3 days in hospital. Cried and caused a right scene when my parents came to collect me cos i had icecream every day and we didn't have it everyday at home! ps my mum and dad are lovely - honest!

Malin Bridge Infants School, 1952. Miss Bolsover gave me a card with my name on it, so that I could copy it on my work, and I gave it her back saying "I don't need THIS" (I'd been practising - forewarned is forearmed etc.) I sneaked home at lunchtime and my mum frogmarched me back. I had my plimsolls in a little bag with a drawstring, the bag had my name on it (a machine-embroidered tape - you could order them from Roberts Bros. on The Moor). Miss Catherall was the headteacher - of the old school, no nonsense but very fair.

My favourite teacher was Miss Garrison (Edith Garrison, 1903-1989); she was a lovely person and an excellent teacher. She could have been headteacher but she preferred to be in the classroom. On completing 25 years at Malin Bridge she planted a tree while all the children and staff looked on - it's still there, a fine Mountain Ash.

If you got to school early in the morning you could play with various "educational toys". I always wanted to play with the "Minibrix" (a sort of rubber precursor of Lego) but someone always got there before me! I am still in touch with several classmates from Malin Bridge and we get together from time to time, even though we now have our bus passes...

My memory was of my first day in nursery school and my dad taking me. I was wearing a black and white spotted wool dress, white shoes and black patent shoes (typical woman thinking about the outfit!!!) and having rich tea biscuits and a glass of dilute orange juice. Just nice!!

Sharrow Lane, September 1951.

The first day at school and a never to be forgotten moment for all of us.

All those years ago and yes the memory fades, but I do remember stood there with my Mom and other children and their parents. Don't suppose there were any Dad's there, they would all be working, unlike today !

Miss Vick was the Headmistress and my first teacher was Mrs Woodger, who from memory seemed to be a 100 years old.

How archaic those buildings seem now and I can't remember ever being told to wash my hands after visiting the toilet.

I'm sure the sun was shining that morning, in fact the sun seemed to shine throughout my entire childhood.

southey green infants,1964.my overriding memory is of a lad called graham needham begging my mum to take him home.she replied"i don,t know where you live,love"....he then gave her precise directions on the best way to his house....me,i just buggered off to play with the toys.

• 2 months later...

birley spa primary school. 1st day and my teacher was mrs dutfield. she was scary and i was sick everywhere cos i was crying so much. my mum just left me cos she was frightened to death of her too

Archived