What's your earliest memory of starting school?

Wattsy

I went to Handsworth infant school, it would have been about 1974/5-ish.

I can remember all the things you mentioned, specially the wooden floors and the coloured plates! I also remember one of the teachers accidently dripping vinegar into my eye one dinner time!! That wasn't very nice...

My grandad also went to this school, he'll be 81 in two weeks!!

You went in 1974 and i went in 1964 and it was still the same didnt change much then!!

My headmistress was Miss Meradith who still see occasionally shes aged well

Park Hill school, 1976.

My predominant memory is of the huge rocking horse which was outside the headteacher's office. Oh, and little bottles of warm milk which made me sick :gag: .

Hi it is strange but my predominant memory is the same as yours i went to Broomhill school the horse was so big a pair of steps was needed, this was 1930 cheers arthur.

I went to Constable Road school, Gleadless Valley, (hemsworth county primary)

I started there in late 1968/ early 1969.

I remember a pair of assemblies, by miss Hill, the headmistress, in July 69; one was on the 1st or 2nd July, about Prince Charles' investiture as Prince Of Wales, the next, about a month later, on about 29th or 30th July, which was about man's landing on the moon.

I was in Miss Longbottom's class, when I started there, and I got smacked, every day for the first week, as I had ADHD, and was very , erm, *coff* "boisterous",

(I got punishments which included me being "clouted" for:-

climbing the free-standing blackboard,

one for pouring shedloads of water into the sandpit tray, as the sand was snuff dry,

and a third for getting ink off an ink-stamp-pad all over my hands and my desk... :blush: )

I remember that you could look out over the teachers' car park, and see a black stone or bronze statue of a little girl, I think she may have been posed, standing with a dog?

I also remember the plates and dishes our school meals were served on, which were the colours of those fizzy sweets, Refreshers.

edit to add:- I have just googled the date of the moon-landings... the date of the moon-landing was 21st july, not 28th sorry!

PT

I started my schooling at Crookes Endowed, I remember my teachers in first year and second year infants, Miss Green & Miss Hoyle, being a church of England school we got lot's of holidays for the different saints & it was only 5 minutes from home.

I lived on Gray Street Opposite Pye Bank School so it was straight out of the front door into the school gates. I remember being taken to the headmistresses office ant eh being taken into a classroom by the head mistress and there were a few children crying for their mums. I just wanted to play in the wendy-house. If my memory serves me correctly I was Mrs Smarts class (or was she the headmistres?) but it was 48 years ago!

Skippy, was your teacher Miss K.K.Hoyle by any chance as I had a teacher of that name at Huntsmans Gardens int the 1940s and I often wondered what became of her? She was rather a short woman with thick glasses and I enjoyed being in her class.

Manor Lane Infants 1955.

Being left by my mum on the first day and crying my eyes out.

Screaming and shouting for her, remember that bit, then sitting by the side of the sandbox and watching all the other kids play in it and thinking "what a load of bo**ocks", or whatever five year olds think !!

Remember the teachers name though, Miss Smedley, about 4 foot tall, hair in a pigtail and wore glasses.

Thanks for the info Skippy.Sounds like the same teacher as I left there in 1944 to go to Abbeydale Grammar,but she did teach my younger sister for a while after that. We lived next door to the school and Miss Hoyle would pop in occasionally to see how I was getting on at Abbeydale.

Archived