What's your earliest memory of starting school?

Wattsy

My abiding memory of Woodside infant school in the early sixties was having to run across a rain swept school yard to get to the lavvie and sit in a cold damp cubicle with the though of Izal toilet paper when I'd finished. But on the brighter side it was always chips on friday for school dinner not the grey splodge that was normally served up as potatoes.

I was there from 61 to 66. Miss Partington was nice, but Mrs Whitely was a cow who poked me in the chest, so my mum went up and sorted her out.

I think I was 3 when I started at Ellesmere Road nursery. I have 2 clear memories, the first was clinging to my big sister Jean, kicking and screaming in fear, I caught the teacher's leg and then watched fascinated as the ladder run up her stocking, in 1946 stockings must have been like gold dust. The second is being given my peg for my coat and a little smock to wear both of which had a little brown bear motif.

Being perched on my Dad's shoulders as he walked down the side of woodthorpe school as the nursery was at the back - munching on a piece of toast (to stop me blubbering I guess) on my first day. September 1964 - I was 3 years old. 3 year olds could go to nursery full time back then if both parents worked - each child had its own everything (including a bed for an afternoon nap) and your very own symbol was how you identified what was yours ie plate, cup, blanket etc.. mine was a small red boat with a green sail.

Beighton Infants, 1953, I remember very very high ceilings as well !

Most striking memory was of actual slates (not mini blackboards) and chalk to write with !!!

Also remembering being taught how to fasten shoe laces. :rolleyes:

Putting chairs on tables at the end of the day.:o

tararabit.

I was at Woodside from 64 until when it closed in 68 and I well remember Miss. Whitely. I was terrified of her and I didn't like her at all. She once made me admit in class to something I hadn't done and I got the feeling she really had it in for me. My dad put her in her place the next day! Other teachers I remember are Mrs. Tuplin(lovely woman), Mrs. Cowie, Mr. Brindley(strict yet quite likeable) and I think the Headmistress was Mrs. Williams.

Give us a PM, you probably stood on the seats with me and pretended to be The Beatles when it was raining.

Being perched on my Dad's shoulders as he walked down the side of woodthorpe school as the nursery was at the back - munching on a piece of toast (to stop me blubbering I guess) on my first day. September 1964 - I was 3 years old. 3 year olds could go to nursery full time back then if both parents worked - each child had its own everything (including a bed for an afternoon nap) and your very own symbol was how you identified what was yours ie plate, cup, blanket etc.. mine was a small red boat with a green sail.

I remember having to have a spoonfull of codliver oil, then a beaker of cocoa to take the taste away. I also remember the afternoon nap, and the kids in the playground looking through the windows at us, before the teacher drew the curtains. I would much rather have been playing out though. :)

I was there from 61 to 66. Miss Partington was nice, but Mrs Whitely was a cow who poked me in the chest, so my mum went up and sorted her out.

Iremember your mum. She and my mum had some really good set toos but they always remained friends. But Manners Street was like that,a bit like Coronation Street, or Neighbours for you Antipodians

Archived