What's your earliest memory of starting school?

Wattsy

My first day at school was in September 1953. My mother had to drag me, kicking and screaming, to Langsett Rd (Burton St.) Infants School.

At the first break she brought me a flask of tea down to the school gates - she still wouldn't let me come home though.

The following day a classmate called me a sissy and started taking the pi$$ 'cos my mother had turned up.

We ended up scrapping in the schoolyard - he never called me a sissy again!

First day, Woodthorpe Infants', September 1944.

Mum took me to school for the first and only time. Thereafter I went with my pals, quite a gang of us from Richmond. The bus fare from Woodthorpe terminus was a ha'penny. (3 stops)

Spent most of the first day threading beads on a string - occupational therapy I suppose.

Dont know what order these should be in... (age) i remember the black stools in the dining room... a big fat teacher ringing a bell, a drinks fountain in the cloakroom... and all the games p.e. Equipment, being outside in the yard shed?? and a big old rocking horse... and dont ask me why but i can still remember the old Dick and Jane reading books....the reading test in the headmasters office...

and as we are talking about school...Im 37 and went to hillsborough Infant and Junior so you do the maths..;) how many years ago...:gag:

Morning all, Just joined this forum so really don't know what to do or how it works but thought I would give it a try.

Morning Magsby and welcome to the forum. :wave:

If you want to introduce yourself it's best to start here. Just click on start a new thread and away you go.

I remember my first day at school where my mum left me at the school gate and I don't ever remember seeing parents standing round chatting to each other on school premises.

Did not really like my very first school but I only had to go there for a "term" until the building of the school I was meant to be at was in the final stages of being built.

Loved the milk in winter but never had it in the summer time and cannot drink it now unless it is really cold. Yes I know we have fridges these days!!!

My first teacher I did not admire for a variety of reasons.

I remember my first day at Owler Lane Infants School, I was taken in through 1 door introduced to the teacher who I promptly kicked and ran out of the other door. I also remember my first visit to the barbers, once again as soon as he put the cape round my shoulders I stood up and gave him one good kick and ran off trying to look like batman, but I soon changed when I realized that all I got for doing these things was a good WALLOPING.

• 1 year later...

Archived