Thundercliffe Grange. Sheffield.

I am researching my family history and trying to find a John Birks who attended this childrens home in the 1950's. I know the school closed in the 1970's but cannot find any information about what happened to the residents after. If anyone have any info. on either John Birks or Thundercliffe Grange please get in touch. Many Thanks. Val.

I am researching my family history and trying to find a John Birks who attended this childrens home in the 1950's. I know the school closed in the 1970's but cannot find any information about what happened to the residents after. If anyone have any info. on either John Birks or Thundercliffe Grange please get in touch. Many Thanks. Val.

All I know is that the house belonged in the past to the Earls of Effingham. Any use following that up?

I understand that it used to be a lunatic asylum.

Also - http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=thundercliffe+grange&meta= should give some clues.

It was a home for Thalidomide sufferers. Previously it was the stately home of the Earls of Effingham, just as Chatsworth is to the Dukes of Devonshire, and Wentworth Woodhouse was to the Earls Fitzwilliam. Had it been a lunatic asylum, I would have been there long ago.

I used to care for people with mental handicap. Some of them had been resident at the Grange as children in the 60's.

They came from Barnsley and Rotherham, so it may have been run by the old West Riding County Council as those towns had no provision until the mid 70's.

Archived