Thundercliffe Grange. Sheffield.

Thanks for your message, I was told that once the children reached the age of 16 they had to go out into the big wide world, do you know if this is correct or what would have happened to them after they left the grange.

VR

a lot of the patients I nursed, from TG, were what would have been considered unable to manage in the community, and so they were moved on to adult hospitals when they were old enough. (I'm talking 25-odd years ago!)

oddly enough, since (don't-)care-in-the-community began, a lot of my old patients "ARE" now living out in the community, albeit in intensely supported housing.

well I have a book in mind, to write about the experiences I had and the funny happenings, whilst I was nursing.

but. yes I am very cynical about the treatment the patients got whilst in the long term care, even down to the simple autonomy of being able to choose what and when they ate, or what they wore. it made me so sad to see.

A friend of mine (Elsie) worked there in the sixties. She swore with her hand on her heart that the place was haunted - evidently by a lady in white. It seems she walked as if she was buried up to the shins. Elsie was told that that particular floor had been relaid at a higher level, the white lady was walking on the old floor.

• 1 year later...

My mother used to help mainly with cleaning at the Grange nearly until it closed and the matron would bring some of the children to our home at Christmas to sing carols. The matrons name was Mrs. Bowes and her personal maid was Annie King who regularly came to us for Christmas and many other times for meals and somewhere to go away from the grange. I used to deliver newspapers to the grange.

• 1 month later...
My mother used to help mainly with cleaning at the Grange nearly until it closed and the matron would bring some of the children to our home at Christmas to sing carols. The matrons name was Mrs. Bowes and her personal maid was Annie King who regularly came to us for Christmas and many other times for meals and somewhere to go away from the grange. I used to deliver newspapers to the grange.

i deliverd milk there in th early 50

Thundercliffe Grange was taken over by the N.H.S. on it's formation in 1949 from a Dr. Mole who ran sanatorium for ladies. The N.H.S. used it to house Children with Learning Diability, then known as Metal Handicap, managed by Sheffield No 2 Group management Committee. Matron Bowes retired in 1970, was followed by a George Alexander and finally Mrs Rathore who oversaw the transfer of the patients to other more modern units scattered around the city, those under 16 were transfered to a Hostel on East Bank Road. I trust this info will be of help , Valerie.

• 7 months later...

Archived