Thundercliffe Grange. Sheffield.

Mrs Rathore didn't have polio as far as I know Her withered arm and limp was as a result of a plane crash which her husband ( the pilot) died.

The area where the grange is built is below a line of cliffs which is now covered by banking with trees and shrubs. How its name and when changed I dont know.

In this banking were signs of tunnels, said to run from the "grange" (monks habitation) to the nunnery at Kimberworth??????

There is some history for Thundercliffe in the Incunabula of Sheffield History,

Hermitage of St John,

Thundercliffe, Under Cliffe, Cindercliffe, Tunnocliffe Scenocliffe all seem to be names used for the same place.

• 6 months later...
I am researching my family history and trying to find a John Birks who attended this childrens home in the 1950's. I know the school closed in the 1970's but cannot find any information about what happened to the residents after. If anyone have any info. on either John Birks or Thundercliffe Grange please get in touch. Many Thanks. Val.

My Brother was in Thundercliffe Grange from 1949/50 aged 7 until he reached 21 when he was no longer classed as a young person and was required to move to an adult male only unit which was based at Grenoside Hospital, Grenoside Sheffield.He died there aged 28.All i can say is that I am glad we are free to question and expect answers in these days, and not think to question rules and regulations as my parents and all other parents did 50 years ago.

i deliverd milk there in th early 50

hi awoolen, I used to do a Sat milk round with my best mate Brian Bramhall, for Bert Maycock, who had the farm and butchers shop on the corner of Jedborough st and Fife St, in Wincobank. We also deliverd milk there occasionally in the early 50s.

I am researching my family history and trying to find a John Birks who attended this childrens home in the 1950's. I know the school closed in the 1970's but cannot find any information about what happened to the residents after. If anyone have any info. on either John Birks or Thundercliffe Grange please get in touch. Many Thanks. Val.
I was a choirboy in Stannington church choir round about that time,and every Xmas we were taken by coach one sunday afternoon in December to Thundercliffe Grange to sing Xmas carols for the kids and staff.The Matron was a lovely lady with a huge smile who always thanked us all individually and we were treat to a lovely buffet afterwards.But the reason for my post is that I well remember the matron halway through the event asking if "John" could sing Silent Night,which he did so to the best of his ability and with help from Matron.I have never forgot those great afternoons in the early 50s and wonder if "John" may have been your John Birks!

• 1 month later...

I am looking for old pictures on the place to include in my Middlewood Hospital project.

To see hundreds of pictures of the Asylum. Please visit rotherham-images.co.uk and look for the 'Middlewood Hospital' link

A long time ago many patients from Middlewood were transfered to Thunthercliffe Grange

All contributions are credited

Archived