World war One interest

milted

Is there an interested person who could give me information concerning some museum who would be interested in finding a place for a original book about the history of the York and Lancs Regiment 1914 t0 1918 complete with lists of casualties and original war maps

My Great Uncle, Roland Storr Oakley, was a casualty in the York & Lancs during the Great War. He was hit by shrapnell in Ypres and suffered shell shock at the Somme. Would love to know if he is listed as a casualty. Any chance of looking him up for me - it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Jass

I totally agree that the Yorks and Lancs Museum is the best place for your book. I can’t see the curator not accepting it, but if this happens I am sure that it would find a resting place at the recently-built War Museum in Manchester.

I’ll shortly be placing a hand-bell with them. I used to own a house in Scotland, and a long time ago, while doing a bit of gardening, I found it wrapped in sacking.

It’s brass, and it was issued to Air Raid Wardens to sound an alarm for fire in the case on incendiary attacks.

My Great Uncle, Roland Storr Oakley, was a casualty in the York & Lancs during the Great War. He was hit by shrapnell in Ypres and suffered shell shock at the Somme. Would love to know if he is listed as a casualty. Any chance of looking him up for me - it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Jass

My Grandad was in first battallion of the Yorks and Lancs, and was also injured by shrapnel in the battle of Ypres. He had his finger blown off and shrapnel lodged in his face. I've been on the National Archives web site and managed to download his medal records. I'm wanting to visit the archieves in Kew to see if I can find his military records.

Camrat my advice is visit the National Archives as soon as you can manage it,my Wifes great Uncle was a Sergeant in the Royal Welch Fusiliers, enlisting in 1906, and was KIA in October 1914, one of the early casualties, and is buried in Northern France.

The day we spent at Kew was a fascinating experience, we were able to see his service record,his advancement through the ranks,all his physical features,height,weight,etc, and build up a picture of his background, we even read the report of a Court of Enquiry, in 1910, into an accident he had to see if the injury was self-inflicted

His younger Brother was KIA in Palestine in 1918 and is buried in Jerusalem, again another wonderful experince to uncover details of relatives we never knew we had.

One final tip, if you plan to go to Kew register for a pass on line, it will save you a lot of time and trouble when you get there.

Camrat78,at first it is a bit daunting,but having a name a number makes it much easier,and the staff are very helpful, and will point you in the right area, and once you get into the swing of it then obviously it is a bit easier,but a word of warning, during WW2 some Army records from WW1 were damaged by enemy action these are not available, another of my Wifes relatives records fall into this category which is a pity because he served in the Army and fought in the Boer War and WW1,was KIA in 1915,and he was a long service man, and we would love to see his records.Good Hunting

Archived