World war One interest

milted

Hello Jass

Give me a day or two and I will see if I can find the name Oakley in the lists of casualties Will let you know in any case

Milted

Thanks Milted that would be greatly appreciated

Cheers, Jass

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Jess

My second attempt at contacting you ? Sorry to say that I could'nt Find the name Oakley . But remember,this book refers only to the

7th Service Battalion,York and Lancs Regiment But good luck I hope y ou find what you're looking for Regards, Milted

My Grandfather Edgar Simms served with the 7th Service Battalion Yorks and Lancs Regiment (Pioneers) from 1915-1919.Checking back through his service he was a Sergeant in A Company,I have found the names of 44 pals from A Company who died in France and Belgium.We are going to the Somme area for three days starting 26th September this year and will visit as many graves as possible and lay a poppy cross on each one.Next year we will visit Flanders and lay poppy crosses at the graves in the area around the time of the 90th commemeration of Passchendaele.If anyone has a family member buried in the areas we plan to visit,we will be more than willing to take a photo and lay a cross on the grave.

Joan Clark

Hello Jess

My second attempt at contacting you ? Sorry to say that I could'nt Find the name Oakley . But remember,this book refers only to the

7th Service Battalion,York and Lancs Regiment But good luck I hope y ou find what you're looking for Regards, Milted

Hi,

If you still have the book on the 7th Service Battalion Yorks and Lancs Regiment I am sure you will find my Grandfather Sgt.Edgar Simms A Company,we have been told that he was recommended for the MM,but have never been able to find out why.

Joan Clark

Hello Milted,

Thank you for the contact,as I only have three threads I am unable to contact you direct.I find your offer very kind but will have to turn down your offer to loan the book we have one copy of the book and are looking for two more so we can leave one each for our Grandchildren,so we looking to purchase copies to keep for future family use. I am still trying to find the reason why he was recommended for the MM 13110 Sergt.Simms.

• 4 years later...

My Grandfather George Henry Fairfax of Eccleshall, KIA 1915 at Neuve Chappell and buried at Houplines was interestingly in The East Yorkshire Regiment. He is acknowledged in my book 'Corky's War' but I have no explanation as to why he was in an East Yorkshire regiment and not in the Y and L's.

Is there an interested person who could give me information concerning some museum who would be interested in finding a place for a original book about the history of the York and Lancs Regiment 1914 t0 1918 complete with lists of casualties and original war maps

There is a Sheffield man, Dean Hill, who has undertaken the massive job of recording the war dead of WW1 from Sheffield.

I am sure your book would be of great interest and source of information to him.

Is there an interested person who could give me information concerning some museum who would be interested in finding a place for a original book about the history of the York and Lancs Regiment 1914 t0 1918 complete with lists of casualties and original war maps

The best book on the sheffield city battalion is by ralph gibson & paul oldfield called "Sheffield city battalion".

This focuses on the 12th service batttalion which trained and lived at redmires camp.

I bought the book from pen and sword books on the net.

Hope this helps.

Archived