World war One interest

milted

The best book on the sheffield city battalion is by ralph gibson & paul oldfield called "Sheffield city battalion".

This focuses on the 12th service batttalion which trained and lived at redmires camp.

I bought the book from pen and sword books on the net.

Hope this helps.

Try Covenant with Death by John Harris. It is about the formation, training and action of the battalion. It is written as a form of fiction but locations can be easily deciphered. An excellent read.

Does anybody know where to get a full and complete list of people who served in the sheffield pals ? as i believe my grandad might have, he was from sheffield and enlisted here and he was in the yorks an lancs according to my uncle, thanks

If you have his details you may find him on Ancestry or you could pose a question on the Sheffield on Records site.

If you have his details you may find him on Ancestry or you could pose a question on the Sheffield on Records site.
i know all his birth details etc i even think i,ve found him on ancestry on the medals list but it doesn,t give his address etc /birth date so i can,t be 100% sure its him , what is sheffield on records site ? thanks

i know all his birth details etc i even think i,ve found him on ancestry on the medals list but it doesn,t give his address etc /birth date so i can,t be 100% sure its him , what is sheffield on records site ? thanks

Many military records were lost in the 1940s blitz. The medal index rolls were kept in a seperate location and that is why they survived.

Sheffield Records on Line is a free family history site. It provides on line info but you can also post questions and other members will help you. There is a military section. Sheffield Indexers is another excellent free site.

I know this is not exactly on topic but my great uncle was Reginald 'Rex' Warneford. His father was brother to my great grandad. My grandmother was Florence Warneford before marrying my grandad Stephen Gill. Rex was a hero in WW1 being the first person to shoot down a Zeppelin from a Morane-Saulnier aeroplane while over Belgium in June 1915. He was awarded the VC - the first person in the fleet air arm to get this- and the French Cross of the Legion of Honour on the same day. He was accidentally killed on 17 June 1915 aged 23 while ferrying American journalist Henry Beach Needham when the planr they were being made of wood just fell apart. Needham died at crash scene and Rex later in hospital. He had full military funeral with thousands lining route and is buried in Brompton cemetery in London

• 2 years later...

my grandfather was a navy soldier. in the 2 regiment. They were interned

in Groningen (Holland) 1915-1919 His name was Harry Jackson. he has married a Dutch girl . and my mother is the daughter .

We are making a book about the Timbertown soldiers. I can`t find his number

and ship he was.

are there more people who have a soldier which was in Holland.(Groningen)?

As a former member of the York & Lancaster Regiment who served up until disbandment on 31st March 1969 (although the disbandment parade actually took place in1968 on the 14th December) I must say that referring to the Y&Ls as York & Lancs was a sure way to get a rollicking.

Archived