Why do we have to suffer fireworks every night??

i live at handsworth and for the last two weeks fireworks have been set off! not the pretty ones in the sky that look lovely the ones that have 120 bangs and frighten all people and animals. whats the law on selling fireworks??

Wasn't that Abdul testing his new AK47?

'Fireworks night,' said Hallam. 'Once a year animals are frightened, children are blinded and burnt. There are terrible accidents, hooligans take advantage of the occasion to throw fireworks into letter boxes and put them in milk bottles. There are cases of them tying them to animals. It's quite a disgusting business. The fire service always suffers casualties, the casualty wards in hospitals are overworked. Who gains?'

'Brock's Fireworks,' I said.

'Yes,' said Hallam, 'and the shops selling them. There is a lot of money changing hands tonight. A lot of us at the Home Office are very much against it, I can tell you, but the interests we are working against are...' Hallam raised flat palms in a gesture of despair.

'They should pay,' said Hallam. 'They should foot the bill for all the damage and accidents and burnt houses that are caused, and if any money is left over after that, it could be paid to the shareholders.'

'But don't they make signal rockets?' I asked.

'Very few, my boy. I've been into the whole business; it is quite degrading that these people make money out of it. Nasty. If the municipal authorities each organised a firework display, that would be another matter...

It depends where you live. Certainly, as someone has mentioned, they are a signal for drug users. The light a fire work to let everyone know they have scored and its safe for everyone to buy. Where I work, in a un-named area, it can be heard. Most other places its Asian Weddings or kids. I live nr Carterknowle and there is quite a few at mo.

WM

It depends where you live. Certainly, as someone has mentioned, they are a signal for drug users. The light a fire work to let everyone know they have scored and its safe for everyone to buy. Where I work, in a un-named area, it can be heard. Most other places its Asian Weddings or kids. I live nr Carterknowle and there is quite a few at mo.

WM

that's simply not true, it's an urban myth

'Fireworks night,' said Hallam. 'Once a year animals are frightened, children are blinded and burnt. There are terrible accidents, hooligans take advantage of the occasion to throw fireworks into letter boxes and put them in milk bottles. There are cases of them tying them to animals. It's quite a disgusting business. The fire service always suffers casualties, the casualty wards in hospitals are overworked. Who gains?'

'Brock's Fireworks,' I said.

Christmas time, once a year drink drivers increase, depression cases increase, crime increases and fires can be caused by decorations and cooking for larger numbers than used to.

Criminals take advantage of the season, there are more drink related accidents.

And who gains? The stores selling more stuff for Christmas.

You can view the negative of nearly every occasion in the year, however there are many good points too.

We have a firework party every year on Bonfire night and to this day there's never been an accident. We buy fireworks with the money going to the manufacturer and all in the business, however they are businesses selling products that there's a demand for, surely that's fine and there are many more industries much worse than these.

Yes there are those that abuse fireworks and use them in a non-intended way, but again this can be said of anything. I would hate to see the rest of us honest decent people being punished because of a minority and their inability to use fireworks legally and sensibly.

Archived