Been driving 20 Years and just got my first speeding ticket

Ive have had my licence 35 years and never had one points on it at all . full clean driving licence from 11/09/1976.:clap:

Somebody had one for 40 years before got points so don't count your chickens or be so smug:hihi::hihi:

Somebody had one for 40 years before got points so don't count your chickens or be so smug:hihi::hihi:
Burst my bubble why don't you, I thought that amount of time with a clean driving licence would be a good thing ,can you manage to find any spelling mistakes to moan about by the way:)

On what grounds ?

On the grounds that it is widely accepted that speedos are only accurate to +/- 10% so when you were done for 32 mph, your speedo could have been reading 27 mph which is under the speed limit in force.

That is why the +10% rule exists.

John X

I've had a licence for over 40 years, without any points - and know plenty of others. No doubt I'll drive up Halifax Road on my way to work tomorrow morning, daydreaming in a haze of smugness and get done for speeding. :o:D:D

On the grounds that it is widely accepted that speedos are only accurate to +/- 10% so when you were done for 32 mph, your speedo could have been reading 27 mph which is under the speed limit in force.

That is why the +10% rule exists.

John X

Sorry John, they work the other way.

If you're done for 34 in a 30, your speedo will probably be reading aroung 37/38.

Hardly a 'slip' is it?

Sorry John, they work the other way.

If you're done for 34 in a 30, your speedo will probably be reading aroung 37/38.

Hardly a 'slip' is it?

It depends on the car/speedo.

My speedo reads under at lower speeds and over for higher speeds.

The +10% is to allow for the possibilty of it under-reading.

John X

My brotherlaw been driving 46 years and just got first speeding fine in the last 4weeks he thinks the problem could be with his speedo but the will not give him time to get it checked out as hes also got another speeding fine when he knows full well he wasnt doing faster than he should the law stinks hes very very upset about this matter and still they dont want him to prove he hasnt done it the coppers bliam him for doing speeding without even listening arseholes

One could argue that examples like this are a good reason for driving re-tests?

Archived