Reverse Parking - help please!

Ok, so I've been driving for about 9 years or something and only just got to the point where I can't avoid having to reverse (parallel) park. The street I now live on is narrow and double parked all the way down, nearly all of the time. It's also quite busy, being a thoroughfare between two main roads.

I have only attempted it once since the day of my test and even then the guy came out and moved his car forward cos he saw me making such a mess of it. Oh and before you all start, the rest of my driving is fine! :P

I'm rubbish at it. My fear of it has got so bad that I will refuse to use the car in case I can't park it again when I come back! :shakes:

I have found someone who reckons they can teach me, but does anyone know of a nice quiet street that is good for practising? Where do the driving instructors of Sheffield take people to practise?

Thanks

PC

Ok, so I've been driving for about 9 years or something and only just got to the point where I can't avoid having to reverse (parallel) park. The street I now live on is narrow and double parked all the way down, nearly all of the time. It's also quite busy, being a thoroughfare between two main roads.

I have only attempted it once since the day of my test and even then the guy came out and moved his car forward cos he saw me making such a mess of it. Oh and before you all start, the rest of my driving is fine! :P

I'm rubbish at it. My fear of it has got so bad that I will refuse to use the car in case I can't park it again when I come back! :shakes:

I have found someone who reckons they can teach me, but does anyone know of a nice quiet street that is good for practising? Where do the driving instructors of Sheffield take people to practise?

Thanks

PC

There is always a few driving instuctors on Northcote Road at Heeley Green, also the Jaunty estate at Basegreen is well favoured too.

Id also be interested in an instrictor that would take me out in my own car, similar reason..... i rubbish at anything going backwards!!

You do not need an instructor to do that. Just an experienced driver with a lot of patience. I can reverse park into any suitable size spot just using my wing mirrors

I have just died of jealousy.... :(

Probably an easy way to learn is to borrow two other cars from people you know and place them a distance apart then reverse into the gap. Then after each time you have reversed in to the gap properly bring the two cars a bit closer together until you can ease yourself into a gap of about a car and a half in length. That is how I practiced and have been driving since 1981

Archived