Reverse Parking - help please!

Ok, so I've been driving for about 9 years or something and only just got to the point where I can't avoid having to reverse (parallel) park. The street I now live on is narrow and double parked all the way down, nearly all of the time. It's also quite busy, being a thoroughfare between two main roads.

I have only attempted it once since the day of my test and even then the guy came out and moved his car forward cos he saw me making such a mess of it. Oh and before you all start, the rest of my driving is fine! :P

I'm rubbish at it. My fear of it has got so bad that I will refuse to use the car in case I can't park it again when I come back! :shakes:

I have found someone who reckons they can teach me, but does anyone know of a nice quiet street that is good for practising? Where do the driving instructors of Sheffield take people to practise?

Thanks

PC

Getting parked is only half the problem - if you return to your car to find you've even less space to move it out than you had when you parked it.

However. With a little patience, you'll manage it. (Eventually)

Dont forget, you have passed your test.

You dont need to it perfectly, or first time.

It doesnt matter what a balls up you make of it, just get in there.

I have been driving 35 years, and still find it one of the hardest things.

Sometimes, spot on, at others all over the shop.:D

These poseurs who are bragging have probably only ever ridden a push bike.

And anyone can reverse park one of those, preferably up their own reverse park position. :hihi:

We could make a good living from teaching/re-teaching experienced drivers to reverse park - either parallel on-road in-between cars or bay park .. but very few own up to needing help (although I meet more than a few in my daily qualified driver training work).

Simple to teach in person but I also have simple methods on paper with photo's for you to read, absorb and practice - email me for a scanned copy of these methods.

Edit: Hell, just realised how old the OP is. What brought this thread back to life?

We could make a good living from teaching/re-teaching experienced drivers to reverse park - either parallel on-road in-between cars or bay park .. but very few own up to needing help (although I meet more than a few in my daily qualified driver training work).

Simple to teach in person but I also have simple methods on paper with photo's for you to read, absorb and practice - email me for a scanned copy of these methods.

Edit: Hell, just realised how old the OP is. What brought this thread back to life?

Just noticed also, I thought it was strange. All those names of people who are now too old and infirm to be allowed near electical equipment. :D

What became of them I wonder....:suspect:

Ok, so I've been driving for about 9 years or something and only just got to the point where I can't avoid having to reverse (parallel) park. The street I now live on is narrow and double parked all the way down, nearly all of the time. It's also quite busy, being a thoroughfare between two main roads.

I have only attempted it once since the day of my test and even then the guy came out and moved his car forward cos he saw me making such a mess of it. Oh and before you all start, the rest of my driving is fine! :P

I'm rubbish at it. My fear of it has got so bad that I will refuse to use the car in case I can't park it again when I come back! :shakes:

I have found someone who reckons they can teach me, but does anyone know of a nice quiet street that is good for practising? Where do the driving instructors of Sheffield take people to practise?

Thanks

PC

When I learnt to drive (lets not say how many years ago but lets say cars had chokes & no power steering!:hihi:), the driving instructor had a dealership label on the rear car window on the passenger side & a certain letter in the label helped to line up the kerb when reversing.

Needless to say i don't need this anymore as i've had many different cars of all shapes & sizes, but at the time found it very usefull.

The angle which you need to get when parallel parking though is something that will come with practice. You are doing the right thing hitting your fears head on, & also looking for quiet areas to practice in.

Best of luck and don't give up you'll get there! :clap:

I always reverse into parking spaces but I too have never quite got the knack of parallel parking in the car. I can do it with an articulated lorry with a 45 foot box trailer on and without damaging anything in the way but when I try it in the car it goes wrong. However practice makes perfect.

easy just pull up at side of car in front of space you want probably slightly past it then adjust your nearside mirror so you can see your rear wheel. reverse straight back til the back end of the car you was at the side of is the mid way of your car now watching your front end put lots of left hand lock on your car. til your car is at 45 degrees to the car that will be in front of you now straighten up look at your left hand mirror and watch til your rear wheel is 3 inch off the kerb. now put your rright hand lock on and keep going backwards slowly watching your front end doesnt hit the car thats now in front. if it looks like your gonna hit the car with your front end take off some of the right lock. now slowly move in til your rear wheel is parallel to the kerb and straghten up.. reads a lot worse than it is. :hihi::hihi: if you do it real slow if you hit the car behind you it wont cause any damage. just straighten up and drive forward slightly.

Archived