Old shops in town

I seem to remember up past the Cutlers Hall on a corner was a pram shop They sold teddy bears too, in fact I still have mine that was bought from that shop must be 55years ago.

Can't remember the name but I recall it being on the corner of Orchard Lane/Church street.

I've just been thinking; there used to be a corking fruit and veg shop next door to Wilson Gumpert just after the war. In its window I had my first sight of numerous tropical fruits after the austerity of the 1940's.

Mike

Pollards on West St roasted and blended there own coffee and I worked at Leadbeater and Peters optical works,Convent Walk a few doors away from Pollards and during the summer months when we had all the windows open in our workshop and the preparation of the various coffee's was taking place the lovely aroma of roasting coffee beans used to permeate the atmosphere.gorgeous!

I used to smell Pollards coffee when walking into town from King Edward's school in the 60s - such a delicious smell; I've been a coffee drinker ever since. I also remember traditional ironmongers and hardware stores, which have almost died out now. There was Constantines - in a sort of shed just off Carver Street, which was very good for tools. Also Lingards on Langsett Road - you could get any kind of bolt, screw or whatever there, in brass, steel, chrome etc., to say nothing of garden tools (hung up outside), and hundreds of other lines. A sort of mini-B & Q except that the staff knew all about what they were selling and would give sound advice on what to buy and how to use it.

I've just been thinking; there used to be a corking fruit and veg shop next door to Wilson Gumpert just after the war.

That fruit & veg. shop was superb; I worked nearby in the early 1970s and my mum would give me a shopping list. In October 1970 they had FRESH walnuts - not cheap at 4s 6d a pound (the average then was 2s 6d for the usual dried Christmas-type walnuts) but they were delicious. I didn't see them again until a few years ago when they were on sale in the Continental market in Fargate.

Archived