Old shops in town

If Redgates was down the Moor what was the great toy shop in Fitzallen Square, top side facing the the News Cinema? I spent hours throwing tantrums looking in the window,until I got what I wanted! Dreadful child.

Im pretty sure Hobbies was in the middle of the row of shops opposite the Classic Cinema in Fitzallan Square, before it moved up near the town hall.

If Redgates was down the Moor what was the great toy shop in Fitzallen Square, top side facing the the News Cinema? I spent hours throwing tantrums looking in the window,until I got what I wanted! Dreadful child.

Definitely Wilson Gumpert. Their shop was about halfway along the top side of the square; it must have closed in the 1960s. It was a very old-established business; the Gumpert family were of German origin and suffered from anti-German sentiment during both World Wars. Traugott Gumpert, born in Germany in 1904, died in Sheffield in August 1992.

I've just been thinking; there used to be a corking fruit and veg shop next door to Wilson Gumpert just after the war. In its window I had my first sight of numerous tropical fruits after the austerity of the 1940's.

Mike

Hiya Puffin , you were nearly right in naming the fruit and veg shop next to Wilson Gumpert , it was in fact called " Corkers " I remember shopping there with my mother and a few years later with my wife . It was top class fruit and veg .

David

"Jackson the Tailors" on the Moor and in Fargate. They were a subsidary of Burtons in the 1960/70's and had their Head Office in the north east.

The branch on the Moor was near to Alex Owen (I believe this was a T.V. electrical store) and the branch in Fargate was facing Boots (I think), it had a training room above the shop.

Duffems.

Hiya Puffin , you were nearly right in naming the fruit and veg shop next to Wilson Gumpert , it was in fact called " Corkers " I remember shopping there with my mother and a few years later with my wife . It was top class fruit and veg .

David

Hi David,

That was a Freudian slip, I had no idea it was called Corkers, I just used corking in place of superb. The second coincidence though, is that I mostly saw the shop when waiting for the bus to visit my grandparents in Wincobank - I notice you are located there.

Mike

Hi David,

That was a Freudian slip, I had no idea it was called Corkers, I just used corking in place of superb. The second coincidence though, is that I mostly saw the shop when waiting for the bus to visit my grandparents in Wincobank - I notice you are located there.

Mike

Hiya Mike, I realised that was what you had done , it was so nearly right it I had to reply to you that way, no offence was meant and I wasn't being pedantic.

David

This is a cracking thread to kick start the old grey matter, I will try and get this correct (Fargate, left hand side going up to Norfolk Row circa 1960)

Barclays Bank

Austin Reed

Richards ladies shop

Fargate Court

Alexandre The Tailor

Fargate House inc Lotus Shoes, an optician Scrivens I think, Tudor's newsagent, a basement that the Blood Transfusion Service used and Alfred Peters & Son hearing aid mechanics that Derek Dooley was apprenticed to (demolished early 60's, now part of M&S)

Marks & Spencer

A furniture shop (please help with name)

Thomas Cook

Wallis ladies shop

Hepworth tailors

This is a cracking thread to kick start the old grey matter, I will try and get this correct (Fargate, left hand side going up to Norfolk Row circa 1960)

Barclays Bank

Austin Reed

Richards ladies shop

Fargate Court

Alexandre The Tailor

Fargate House inc Lotus Shoes, an optician Scrivens I think, Tudor's newsagent, a basement that the Blood Transfusion Service used and Alfred Peters & Son hearing aid mechanics that Derek Dooley was apprenticed to (demolished early 60's, now part of M&S)

Marks & Spencer

A furniture shop (please help with name)

Thomas Cook

Wallis ladies shop

Hepworth tailors

Can't think of the name of that furniture shop for my life and I think it's the one I worked at, it had 3 flooors, every thing was sold on the HP back then, the whole top floor was bookeeping.

Hope someone can think of the name, there was one down the moor too, same company.

Can't think of the name of that furniture shop for my life and I think it's the one I worked at, it had 3 flooors, every thing was sold on the HP back then, the whole top floor was bookeeping.

Hope someone can think of the name, there was one down the moor too, same company.

Was it Proctors?

Archived