Old shops in town

Going back to 1947-8?? I was in the last year at school and I discovered Appelbaums; the bookshop; just up Division St from the Albert. Thing about Appelbaums was that they got all the latest American comics, horror comics and stuff. I think they arrived in England as ballast on ships coming into Liverpool. Anyhow Appelbaums got 'em, and I bought 'em. I was famous for about 5 minutes at school. Good people, the Applebaums, the old guy with his beret and cigar and his old lady with a cigarette hanging from the corner of her mouth, and hornrimmed glasses.

Just picked this up while surfing and reminiscing. My parents were friends with old 'Putti' Appelbaum and his aristocratic 'Mutti', who looked like the Old Lady in Babar. Putti was an Esperantist. They lived in Netheredge in a Tudorbethan semi, scented with Putti's cigars and filled with oil paintings of forbears and beautiful rugs. It was the most exotic place for a six-year old to visit (in 1950).

The one with the cigarette always on her lips was Oie (Rosie), their daughter. I loved her, and her rasping voice. She was quite bitter at having to work the shop while her academic brother was becoming a BigCheese in Middle Eastern archeology. I can still remember the smell of those Marvel comics.. and I got my first intro to Shakespeare there with a US comic of Macbeth. Brilliant!

A few years back I came to Sheffield and there was an Appelbaums - transformed into an academic bookshop - on Western Bank.. is it still there?

Texas , The Foodhall you are thinking of was called Tuckwoods and was where Marks and Spencer are now in Fargate. You could always smell coffee being ground there it was the nearest store to a deli. Behind the foodhall was a classy clothes store. opposite was Proctors furniture and farther down on the same side was Cole Bros.

How about these old shops...

C&A

Burtons (Haymarket branch)

BHS (Haymarket Branch)

Just Micro

Tandy

Redgates

Virgin Records (opposite NatWest near hole in road)

Rackhams

Quadrant Stationers

Benneton

Our Price

Sugg Sport

Bradleys Records

Fads

DER

Texas Homecare (Arundel Gate bottom)

Woolco (Haymarket)

Pippys

Bankrupt Clothing

Wimpy

John Collier

Saxone

Concept Man

Radio Rentals

Wigfalls

Curtess Shoes

Rumbelows

Decor8

Freeman Hardy Willis

and thats just the ones off the top of my head!

Can't remember just know it was a large store on Fargate. Someone may be able to clarify this for us hopefully.

wasn't it opposite the peace gardens,or was that another dept., store,Iknow they had a hairdressing dept.,

Babsy, The store opposite the peace gardens was Stewart & Stewart and they did have a very good hairdressing salon. Marshall & Snelgrove was on Leopold Street just before the Roundabout Bar at the Grand Hotel. Across the road was a small ladies dress shop which belonged to Cantors the furniture people when you had seen or bought what you wanted you could then walk through the shop and out through the furniture store on Fargate. Cantors was just above what was the American Soldiers NAFFI The Fleur de Lys. Opposite above what is now the Yorkshire Bank opposite where the Police Box stood which was mentioned earlier was the Albany Hotel which was also a favorite of the Yanks.

Just picked this up while surfing and reminiscing. My parents were friends with old 'Putti' Appelbaum and his aristocratic 'Mutti', who looked like the Old Lady in Babar. Putti was an Esperantist. They lived in Netheredge in a Tudorbethan semi, scented with Putti's cigars and filled with oil paintings of forbears and beautiful rugs. It was the most exotic place for a six-year old to visit (in 1950).

The one with the cigarette always on her lips was Oie (Rosie), their daughter. I loved her, and her rasping voice. She was quite bitter at having to work the shop while her academic brother was becoming a BigCheese in Middle Eastern archeology. I can still remember the smell of those Marvel comics.. and I got my first intro to Shakespeare there with a US comic of Macbeth. Brilliant!

A few years back I came to Sheffield and there was an Appelbaums - transformed into an academic bookshop - on Western Bank.. is it still there?

That is fascinating. It's good to know somebody remembers them. I loved the store, I've always been a bit bookish, even if I didn't understand what I was reading, and the Applebaums' had a surfeit of reading matter accommadating my ignorance. I also remember Putti would wear a beret sometimes, which added to the exotic 'feel' on entering the shop.

Babsy, The store opposite the peace gardens was Stewart & Stewart and they did have a very good hairdressing salon. Marshall & Snelgrove was on Leopold Street just before the Roundabout Bar at the Grand Hotel. Across the road was a small ladies dress shop which belonged to Cantors the furniture people when you had seen or bought what you wanted you could then walk through the shop and out through the furniture store on Fargate. Cantors was just above what was the American Soldiers NAFFI The Fleur de Lys. Opposite above what is now the Yorkshire Bank opposite where the Police Box stood which was mentioned earlier was the Albany Hotel which was also a favorite of the Yanks.

Rhonda,what a good memory you have, brought a lot of memories back of those shops,Stewart and Stewart used to have my hair done there.

Anybody remember HIPPS tailors shop near the top of the Moor, had a couple of suits made there, they were pretty good and not expensive at that time. If you were into Hi-Fi equipment, there was a great shop on Ecclesall Rd not too far past the S&E on the opposite side, I'm talking approx.1960, does anybody remember the name.

Archived