Old shops in town

Walshes,on the High Street (Rackhams,and

lately T J Hughes) with the Coal Board shop next to it. My mum used to take me to a cafe up the street at the side which linked the High Street with Norfolk Street, (long before Arundel Gate was built) and we went to a cafe up there called the Carlton, with mullioned windows and coffee served in glass cups.

Peter Robinsons on the High Street

Lift Up Your Skirts and Fly, Sheffields first "proper" boutique, at the back of the Peace Gardens

Cockaynes on Angel Street, I remember being in there when Sheffield Wednesday was in the Cup Final,they announced each goal on the tannoy

S and E Co-op at the bottom of Ecclesall Road, where I was taken for my school uniform

Seem to remember the boutique at the back of the peace gardens was owned by Peter Stringfellow's brother .

My Saturdays would be something like this.

Catch the 73 bus from High Green to town (for a 2p fare).Visit Revolver records on the gallery,then Davies bakers in the upstairs section for a sausage roll and coffee..then to Tramps,on to a shoe shop in High Street,near the Blue Bell pub,cant remember the shop name,but it was a trendy place..through the "ole in t roowad" to Showboat amusement arcade, (any skinheads remember that?) in Pond Street.

Then catch a footy special to Hillsborough,and home for tea time (cos mi mum would worry). Love it !!!!!

Anybody old enough to remember Milletts down the Moor, back when they sold genuine Army surplus. They used to get those American combat jackets all washed out and repaired. All us kids wanted one of those. When collecting badges was the big fad that was one of the favorit places to go. Now all the Milletts shops I see just sell camping and walking gear.

When was the cup final you remember? I thought Cockayne's was blitzed, in which case you have a very good memory indeed! Did Cockayne's occupy the building I remember as Schofield's before Schofield's moved in?

Does anyone remember the Clarke's Shoe Shop on Norfolk Row that had the automatic foot measurer? Scary as a kid. I'm sure you could buy odd-numbered pairs of shoes there. Obviously that was before we discovered Rebina Shoes a decade later!

Walshes,on the High Street (Rackhams,and lately T J Hughes) with the Coal Board shop next to it. My mum used to take me to a cafe up the street at the side which linked the High Street with Norfolk Street, (long before Arundel Gate was built) and we went to a cafe up there called the Carlton, with mullioned windows and coffee served in glass cups.

Peter Robinsons on the High Street

Lift Up Your Skirts and Fly, Sheffields first "proper" boutique, at the back of the Peace Gardens

Cockaynes on Angel Street, I remember being in there when Sheffield Wednesday was in the Cup Final,they announced each goal on the tannoy

S and E Co-op at the bottom of Ecclesall Road, where I was taken for my school uniform

My Saturdays would be something like this.

Catch the 73 bus from High Green to town (for a 2p fare).Visit Revolver records on the gallery,then Davies bakers in the upstairs section for a sausage roll and coffee..then to Tramps,on to a shoe shop in High Street,near the Blue Bell pub,cant remember the shop name,but it was a trendy place..through the "ole in t roowad" to Showboat amusement arcade, (any skinheads remember that?) in Pond Street.

Then catch a footy special to Hillsborough,and home for tea time (cos mi mum would worry). Love it !!!!!

(My Bold)

The shoe shop on high street by the Old Blue Bell was Stylo. (do you remember the Stylo Bargain Basement, next door? You could buy a partly faded pair of shoes -usually ex-window display- for a pound or two, and dye them for next to nothing)

On the opposite side of the street, where the building societies are, now, was Saxones, which had the "tall and small" department upstairs. You could get ladies shoes, in a size 1, 2, or 3, and in 8's 9's and 10's. Being an 8 or 8 1/2 you can imagine, until Evans opened their shoe section, I spent a lot of time in there.

When was the cup final you remember? I thought Cockayne's was blitzed, in which case you have a very good memory indeed! Did Cockayne's occupy the building I remember as Schofield's before Schofield's moved in?

Does anyone remember the Clarke's Shoe Shop on Norfolk Row that had the automatic foot measurer? Scary as a kid. I'm sure you could buy odd-numbered pairs of shoes there. Obviously that was before we discovered Rebina Shoes a decade later!

I remember one shop, which had the X-ray measure for children. Looking back, that was a bit worrying:- I wonder what sort of radiation levels we (And more to the point, the assistants!) were subjected to. I believe the X-ray machines were withdrawn due to health and safety reasons.

I remember one shop, which had the X-ray measure for children. Looking back, that was a bit worrying:- I wonder what sort of radiation levels we (And more to the point, the assistants!) were subjected to. I believe the X-ray machines were withdrawn due to health and safety reasons.

you mentioned van allen earlier , you bought your biba make up from denise , she know works at the make up place in crystal peaks , can you also remember tobias shoes in van allen ?. tina who worked in saxone moved to van allen to run tobias shoes ,

mrs charleworth was manager of van allen ,I knew all the girls from there and ended up marrying one .

thanks for your non reply plain talker,

Archived