Old shops in town

I can remember when Rackhams was Walsh's - a really posh shop....Roberts - also down the Moor....
The original Roberts shop was at Moorhead. I recently found this postcard, undated but perhaps WW1 period, with a view looking towards Pinstone Street from Moorhead. The large building on the left is "T. & J. Roberts". On the corner of the building is a TJR monogram and the words "MOOR HEAD 1882". This 1920s advertisement boasts of "A Sheffield Shopping Emporium". The building was destroyed in the Blitz, and Roberts' new store opened further down the Moor.

Most of the buildings visible in the postcard view are long gone. On the right can be seen the old Nelson Hotel and Queen Victoria's statue. In the centre is St Paul's church, which was demolished in a 1930s act of vandalism..:(

• 3 months later...
.... Jeffs Curios Division Street and Grays Motorcycles on West Street
Yes, Jeff's Curios - I'd almost forgotten. Next door to Johnny Fantham's barber shop; I often looked in the window. Some of us ex-bikers (me, 1971) are old enough to remember Gray's when they were still in Bridge Street...:(

Am I being over nostalgic, as the city centre of the 50's, 60's and 70's appeared to me to be a lot more interesting than the current one?

I suppose that the city centre changed considerably from say 1920 to 1970, but from my recollections of the latter and from what my grandparents told me about the former, it did have good standards in both eras, unlike the current day.

Might I suggest that anyone who is interested has a look at the Sheffield Library Service's pictures section, it brought back a lot of good memories for me.

does anyone remember the shoe market on a friday morning where you had to search for a matching pair, unless you were lucky and they had an elastic band around them..the was the "golden egg" coffee/cafe on fargate and the great little shoe shop on chapel walk where you went if you could afford a fantastic pair of fashionable going out shoes, was it called revena or something like that..

I thought it was Ravells.

Woolworths in the Haymarket opened in 1962, only 5 days after the infamous February gale.Question is how did it escape being damaged by that gale?

In 1955, a furniture store called Bevans opened on Pinstone St. Anyone remember that one? The Lyon Family appeared for the opening.

Just looking at some old newspapers.

Archived