Old shops in town

Here's another view of the temporary single-storey shops (with Richards cutlery factory behind to the right). The middle shop in the view "Theatrical Supplies" sold fancy dress costumes etc. And this is a photo taken from across the Moor (end of Ellin Street) showing the shops a bit further down towards the roundabout, including Burgons grocers, Castles furnishings, Turners newsagents and Bensons carpet shop.

Here's another view of the temporary single-storey shops (with Richards cutlery factory behind to the right). The middle shop in the view "Theatrical Supplies" sold fancy dress costumes etc. And this is a photo taken from across the Moor (end of Ellin Street) showing the shops a bit further down towards the roundabout, including Burgons grocers, Castles furnishings, Turners newsagents and Bensons carpet shop.

Was it Richards that faced Glossop Road and had a lot of spare ground in front of it ?

Santa's forest & grotto used to be sited on this spare ground where the photographer stood to take the photo of the shops.

They also had the whale on a trailer on here.

Santa's forest & grotto used to be sited on this spare ground where the photographer stood to take the photo of the shops.

They also had the whale on a trailer on here.

I remember the grotto & the Polio lorry that used to park there, where we queued up to get our jabs.

Lewis leathers was in one of those units. I remember going there to get the studs for my studded belt :hihi: and a metal Norton badge to add to my collection.

Was it Richards that faced Glossop Road and had a lot of spare ground in front of it ?
Richards was between Bishop Street and Moore street, where Wickes is now - there was spare ground for a time on the other side of Moore Street. Here's a photo with Richards on the left.

Was anyone else in Cole Brothers (the one Opposite the City Hall) when there was a Bomb Scare in the 70's. All the power was turned off and everyone had to shuffle to the stairwells to get out. It was packed and amazingly no one panicked. And yes I believe they did find the bomb.

And the kids today think mass bombing is a new thing :-)

Interesting to see on that shot of the Moor, the Farm Shop. Does anyone remember the one down Castle Street? I seem to remember it opened just after the war and then, for the first time, you could buy decent sausage, cheese and bacon. It was always busy.

And does anyone remember a little shop, I think it was on West Bar or Shalesmoor, that sold 'loofahs' ( sponges)? There was a print in the window showing how sponges were gathered. As a kid, I always used to have a look at it when passing.

Interesting to see on that shot of the Moor, the Farm Shop. Does anyone remember the one down Castle Street? I seem to remember it opened just after the war and then, for the first time, you could buy decent sausage, cheese and bacon. It was always busy.

And does anyone remember a little shop, I think it was on West Bar or Shalesmoor, that sold 'loofahs' ( sponges)? There was a print in the window showing how sponges were gathered. As a kid, I always used to have a look at it when passing.

I don't know if it's still there but I remember a little gun shop near West Bar, left hand side at the bottom of Snig hill.?

There was always Rifles and Gun's in the window, fascinating but I can't see it being like that today...

Archived