Old shops in town

I don't know if it's still there but I remember a little gun shop near West Bar, left hand side at the bottom of Snig hill...
That was Arthur Turner's, a large double-fronted shop at 33-35 West Bar. In c. 1908 Arthur Turner took over the gunsmith's shop of Charles Maleham at 5a West Bar, and he remained there until the business outgrew the space available and he moved a few yards to the corner of New Street. The business was there until the 1990s when the building was demolished, and then moved to Infirmary Road where it remained until fairly recently. A web search brought up this page.

Anyone remember a furniture store called Bevans on Pinstone St? It opened in May 1955. It was advertised as trend-setting because it featured furniture arranged in their natural settings. I just don't remember it.

I guess no-one else does, so the Star article was probably a lot of hype. I'm just trying to pinpoint significant newsworthy events in Sheffield for a writing project that I've undertaken. I'll pass on this one.

• 4 weeks later...
I can remember Marshall and Snelgroves but cannot remember it being where Smiths is now.

Anne Lennards ladies clothes shop was the one I remember being there, with H L Browns next to it on the corner.

I remember trying on a dress in Anne Lennards when the shop assisstant came in the cubicle, (always when you were half undressed flinging the curtain back with a flourish so all the world could see you in your underwear) Said what a beautiful fit it was holding half the dressed bunched in her hand at the back.

Linda was the dress shop on Snig Hll also a lending Library as I went there in the early 50's to borrow books for about 2d aweek.

hazel

Marshall and Snelgrove was very posh ..my late wife worked there ..it was near the grand hotel.

Archived