Old shops in town

a couple of shops I remember from the past are Peter Robinsons top of Snig Hill [old meeting place] Male boutique on Orchard street ,Lift up your skirts and Fly top of Charles street i think. How many went to John Temple to get a suit made?Can anyone remember the mens boutique upstairs at Austin Reed when it was at the end of Chapel Walk .Austins at the top of The Moor used to be a decent men's shop as was S.M.C. shirt shop on the Moor . Bradleys on fargate used to be a good record shop ! Can anybody remember the Roman Room coffee shop on Orchard street near The Sheffield Raincoat Store.

I worked at Peter Robinson's from when I left school at 15 I worked in Top Shop and still keep in touch with some of the girls who worked with me. It was a great place to work meeting Stars that would come in and buy our up to date clothes.

As for John Temple I meet my first love who worked there.

Does anybody remember Winstons at the bottom of Snig Hill, bought my first drainpipe trousers from there.

McDonalds hairdressers at the top of Howerd Street, Old Mcdonald used to put an appearance in now and again wearing his ginger coloured wig, which was enough to put anyone off.

Then there was Lew Burgins hairdressers in the alley near the Dove and Rainbow pub.

The stamp & bookshop in the Old Market Hall. Ah! the smell of all those fresh flowers in there.

Davy's shop on Fargate with the aroma of freshly roasted coffee.

Cole Brothers with their popular lunchtime dinners at the sit at the bar feature.

These are some of the memories of old shops in sheffield.

The suit taylor on Corporation St, I forget his name but his suits were top class.

Happy Days!

Tailor on Corporation Str. Bill Mackley

...The stamp & bookshop in the Old Market Hall...
That was Frank Woore - the original Frank retired in the 1940s but the business continued under his name, first in the old Norfolk Market Hall and then in the Castle Market at basement level. As a schoolboy stamp collector I was there most Saturdays spending my pocket money. The last owner was Ian Uttley (he now has a small stamp shop in Bakewell) but the Castle Market business, like that of many other market traders, went into liquidation in the 1980s. The council raised the rents to such a degree that they were unaffordable to many traders. They fought it through the courts but lost, and the demand for rent arrears forced many of them into liquidation, including Ian.

Another long-gone shop that I remember was Andrews on Holly Lane, off West Street - excellent for stationery, books and school supplies. In later years they sold a lot of artists' materials but they didn't keep up with the times and eventually went out of business. Another good stationer's was Loxleys in Fargate, next to Bradley's record shop - they must have closed around 1975 or so.

Archived