Old shops in town

A Bill Curtis lived near us in Crosspool in the early 50's. Could this be the same bloke? We got our first TV from him, a KB 12 ".

yes it was the same, I lived near his family when he was ayoung man, pal of my brothers.

Would someone mention a few food stores. I recollect just after the war (the last one, not the 1914-18 one) going into a largish store and they had what was called, rather classy I thought at the time, a food hall. Anyhow what blew my mind was that they were selling CHOCOLATE COVERED ANTS!

Dont even think of asking!

I cant think of the name of the place. I can only think of Coles

Suzyoo, being an ex-pat, I don't know where McDonald's is on the Moor. It isn't listed on BT.com or Yell.com. Where is it, and therefore where was this mystery HiFi/TV shop? I thought the reference was to the Cumberland Street junction. (see post #35)

In the sixties, the Wimpey Bar, the Roman Room (Russian Tea!) and the Sidewalk were our meeting places. McD's hadn't been invented - well at least, not in England.

The radio shop at the top of Cumberland St was J F Stone. There is a picture of it on Picturesheffield

The radio shop at the top of Cumberland St was J F Stone. There is a picture of it on Picturesheffield

According to the caption on PictureSheffield (S14790) J & F Stone's shop was demolished in the 1950s to make way for the redevelopment of Cumberland Street. The shop where I worked (Stern-Clyne) was in that redevelopment on the same corner and although its address was 125 The Moor, only the doorway and a couple of small windows faced that way, the larger display windows were on Cumberland Street. I found a picture on citikey.com of a later tenant (Nobles Amusements) in the same shop unit.

Bert Kaempfert didn't release Swinging Safari until 1962 and Red Roses until 1965, so it's likely that the hi-fi shop others are thinking of was Stern-Clyne where I worked in 1965/6. It certainly couldn't have been J & F Stone!

Marky Baby & Suzyoo : Was Curtis' shop at the top of the Moor - and is that where McD's is now? If so, I don't remember it, but I did used to drink a lot of Tennants Barley Wine in those days.

I remember when Virgin Records was quite a small dingey shop at the bottom of the moor at the side of the Yorkshire Bank,that smelled of joss sticks and sold clothes as well as records.

Remember when Debenhams used to be called Pauldens too

On this same row of shops was Lewis Leathers that sold bike gear. I bought my first leather jacket there with tassles on the arms and across the back. Jeez i looked cool !!!

Think you are right re; sycamore st, I recall Wilkes Bros iron mongers being on the first corner up Norfolk st and Marsdens milk bar further on Change Alley and Mudfords the rope people further on Thorntons shop was on there too. Arthur.

Archived