Old Sheffield restaurants

I think the 'Indus' in Fitzalan Square had to be one of the first Indian restaurants in Sheffield. I recall an Indian (name I never knew)one being on Attercliffe Common across from the old Pavilion Cinema near Leigh Street and that was there in 1958.

Used to go to an Indian in the Wicker just up from the arches run by a man called Mr Naz.The restaurant was called the Naz iirc. Iside was like a transport caff with formica tables and iirc he used to play a lot of Elvis records.Good cheap grub and lots of free tea and coffee.Used to close around 2-3 a.m. Seem to remember it burnt down.

---------

Hiya Darr, Would you be thinking that restaurant was one door away

from the wicker picture house, or Studio 7, i use to call in after we'd

been drinking in Station Hotel. was it 60/7/80s.

---------

Hiya Darr, Would you be thinking that restaurant was one door away

from the wicker picture house, or Studio 7, i use to call in after we'd

been drinking in Station Hotel. was it 60/7/80s.

There used to be a Spanish style café called Garcias that was between the cinema and the Wicker Arches late '60s. It was very small tho' , hence 'cafe'.

I think the 'Indus' in Fitzalan Square had to be one of the first Indian restaurants in Sheffield. I recall an Indian (name I never knew)one being on Attercliffe Common across from the old Pavilion Cinema near Leigh Street and that was there in 1958.

Are you on about the Islamabad restaurant? It was located bang opposite where the new Attercliffe police station is now.

Are you on about the Islamabad restaurant? It was located bang opposite where the new Attercliffe police station is now.

Thank you mafya, as I say I don't recall the name of the place and I'm sure it was further east towards Leigh Street from Whitworth Lane (Police station). However place long gone now and I'm talking 1958 and I was eleven ! The site that you are referring to was between Newark Street and Frank Place only yards from where I thought, so you might be right.

Archived