Premium Bonds - National savings

And again, hubby has won the £25 prize, so its obvious our bind numbers keep coming up, but why for the small prizes only!!, not greedy, but £million would be lovely, ha well lol

You're lucky to get anything, I was in for years and never saw a penny.

At least I could take the money back out again I suppose, unlike playing the lottery

I've had about five premium bonds for a pound each since I was a very small nipper and so was wondering, if you win but they can't trace you because the address is really out of date, what happens? I may type in my numbers just out of curiosity and will update their records with my current address just in case.

I've had about five premium bonds for a pound each since I was a very small nipper and so was wondering, if you win but they can't trace you because the address is really out of date, what happens? I may type in my numbers just out of curiosity and will update their records with my current address just in case.

While dealing with some of my mothers papers, when she went into a care home, I found a few very old Premium Bonds, did a search on their web site and found that one had won £50 many years ago that had not been claimed. I wrote to National Saving on her behalf and they added these these bonds to her list of other bonds and sent her a cheque for her winnings.

Just checked on their web site and found I have won 3 £25 prizes this month, glad this thread came up I will now be waiting for the postman.

• 1 month later...
There's some useful information on premium bonds here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds

To summarise, the average rate of interest is about 4% - less than most savings accounts. They are tax free, so might be worth investing in if you're a higher rate tax payer and have used up your tax free ISA allocation for the year. Otherwise, better to put your money in a savings account.

Wow, you know of a savings account that pays more than 4%, please tell me about it. I realise there are some accounts earning 5%, but the amount you can invest in these is very restricted.

In fact the rate of return on Premium Bonds is 1.3%, so if you own enough to smooth out the statistics this is the rate you can earn on your investment. You can only invest £30,000 in Premium Bonds, so you will earn on average £350/year on that, but you always have a chance for a lucky win of more.

The problem at the moment is there's nowhere good to keep your savings. If you keep them in a savings account the value will go down with inflation and the stock market is at a high and widely expected to fall sometime soon. Gold has fallen and bonds are rubbish too.

Probably the best place to keep your savings at the moment is in peer to peer lending such as Zopa (5% before tax) or Funding Circle (6% before tax).

There's some useful information on premium bonds here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds

To summarise, the average rate of interest is about 4% - less than most savings accounts. They are tax free, so might be worth investing in if you're a higher rate tax payer and have used up your tax free ISA allocation for the year. Otherwise, better to put your money in a savings account.

Wow, you know of a savings account that pays more than 4%, please tell me about it. I realise there are some accounts earning 5%, but the amount you can invest in these is very restricted.

In fact the rate of return on Premium Bonds is 1.3%, so if you own enough to smooth out the statistics this is the rate you can earn on your investment. You can only invest £30,000 in Premium Bonds, so you will earn on average £350/year on that, but you always have a chance for a lucky win of more.

The problem at the moment is there's nowhere good to keep your savings. If you keep them in a savings account the value will go down with inflation and the stock market is at a high and widely expected to fall sometime soon. Gold has fallen and bonds are rubbish too.

Probably the best place to keep your savings at the moment is in peer to peer lending such as Zopa (5% before tax) or Funding Circle (6% before tax).

You do realise that the post you are talking about was posted nearly seven years ago. interest rates have dropped a little since then.

Archived