Premium Bonds - National savings

I looked at them a bit ago, it seems your best investing in blocks of £5000. I don't know why it would make a difference but someone had produced charts showing the big wins and lots of them were on £5000 investments. Having a few hundreed quid in a saving account wont get much interest so you could argue that it's worth the gamble as you might win and can always cash them in again.

Premium bonds are basically the same as sticking the money in a savings account and using the interest to buy lottery tickets, but with slightly better odds.

i think that about sums it up.

£10 were bought for me when i was born in 1978 and have never won anything. About Three years ago i bought £1000, it has won £50 once.

I'm still hoping for that 1 million:)

My grandma used to have quite a lot (and used to win a lot) but we found out that if she died, the bonds couldn't be transfered to anyone (it had to be done before she died) so she couldn't leave them in her will. She cashed them in because of that. Shes still going strong though!

Think thats wrong advice - this is what it says on the terms and conditions page of the premium bonds site i linked to earlier in thread :

18. Bonds are not transferable at any time. Following the death of a holder, the value of the Bonds will form part of the deceased holder’s estate.

:)

I was considering buying some premium bonds but am unsure if they are worth while.

Has anyone invested in these and come up better off of am I just better off with a savings account?

Definitely go for it. look on it as a monthly lottery where you can get your money back any time you want. But don't put all your savings in bonds. Use your ISA allowance and look into Friendly Societies for more tax free savings.

I have won £350 this year :D

I have 2 one pound ones from 1959 and 1965 and a four pound one from 1975 ,which was the contents of a swear box that we had at the place where I was working.....

None of them have won a penny..ever.

There's some useful information on premium bonds here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds

To summarise, the average rate of interest is about 4% - less than most savings accounts. They are tax free, so might be worth investing in if you're a higher rate tax payer and have used up your tax free ISA allocation for the year. Otherwise, better to put your money in a savings account.

• 10 months later...

I bought £20k worth of Premium Bonds ten years ago. My average "winnings" are around £200 a year, which equates to 4% interest, so they're a poor investment - unless you're very lucky.

I believe, statistically, you've a far, far, greater chance of winning the lottery than a million on the Premium Bonds - and that's hard enough.

I've started selling off my bonds to top up ISAs.

Archived