Premium Bonds - National savings

I wouldn't buy premium bonds at all, they're safe but a very poor investment.

The "prize" money is only based on current interest rates. I've had a substantial number of premium bonds for the past five years. The "winnings" have only amounted to 4% of my investment. Now that the interest rates have fallen the prizes have been reduced in-line and you've about ten times more chance of winning the lottery as winning a million on the premium bonds.

I am currently selling them off and re-investing my money elsewhere. Make sure your savings are guaranteed though, should the worse happen.

In these "uncertain" times it might be wise to invest in gold.

The amount of prizes has really been reduced recentley - which is annoying. I've never had more than a few £50 prizes - but I live in hope for the million pound one!! It only takes one bond, once to come up for the million. It's worth having some but I don't think that it's the place for all your savings. Apart from anything else - it's not very easily accesable if you do want to get your hands on any of it.

my uncle invested 30k in premium bonds, he "wins" £50 every couple months and has had a few of the larger prizes.,

I also have the full entitlement. I was averaging around 2/3 wins of £50 each month and perhaps a £500 each year. I have not had a sausage for about the last 3 months.

• 1 month later...

thanks for your replies tried to find out if iam a winner but on my premium bonds their is 1 number followed by to letters then 6 numbers according to the info given their should be 8 numbers only these premium bonds have been hidden in cupboard for many years so heres hoping.thanks for your help once again . takum. :thumbsup:

thanks for your replies tried to find out if iam a winner but on my premium bonds their is 1 number followed by two letters then 6 numbers according to the info given their should be 8 numbers only these premium bonds have been hidden in cupboard for many years so heres hoping.thanks for your help once again . takum. :thumbsup:

Archived