Premium Bonds - National savings

I had some money held with them for a short time maybe like a year, but did not win anything, and it was a very manual process (I had to enter my various numbers online to see if I had won rather than it being automatic). In the end I opted for the 2% or so interest from a instant withdraw account and it is providing more returns than I got with the premium bonds.

They send the cheques out to you regardless of checking manually though,unlike the lotto.

According to the NS & I website you have about 1 chance in 26000 of winning a prize for every bond

you hold. So if you had £26000 worth of bonds, then on average you would win a single prize every

month. The minimum investment is £100 so if you had £100 worth of bonds you would win on average

once every 21 years. If you had £5000 worth of bonds you would win on average a single prize every

year. Of course some years you wouldn't win anything and other years you may win several prizes.

http://www.nsandi.com/savings-premium-bonds

Archived