Wicker Arches

has anyone seen the bullet holes in the front and back of the wicker archers my dad showed me when i was a kid and u can actully see all the shrapnel and bullet holes in the walls as u approach the bridge coming from town towardsthe wicker if u look under the bridge on the left hand side u can see where a failed bomb becme stuck but didnt go off my parents told me this attack was o a large convoy of petrol and oil if this had exploded the whole town and a lot of war proucing arms factorys would have been destroyed

Yes there was a lift at the bottom of the steps to Victoria Station,it used to be known as the shortest 1p ride in Sheffield,My Father worked at a Hay and Stray Merchants next to the Wicker Arches(Pears and Frost) and the morning after the Thursday night blitz he found a tram car destiniation indicator in the Hay loft

During the Second World War, the outer arches on both sides, were bricked up to form air raid shelters.

I was told, that on the night of the Sheffield Blitz, when the Wicker was badly damaged, many people were killed in the makeshift shelters, due to suffocation, caused by the air being sucked from the shelters when the bombs exploded.

How true this is, I do not know.

yea everythime we used to go under the wicker archers my dad used to point out where it was bombed in the war it lookes like a big filled in hole as you come from town under the bridge look up and left! its cool

• 7 months later...

Archived