Wicker Arches

Is Palmer and Harvey tobacconists still under the wicker arches?

I remember a wholesale tobacconist on the wicker, it was around where the chemist is now, if that was Palmer and harvey they moved to the dale at woodseats in the 70's. However im not sure if they are based in sheffield anymore, they are a big company now.

I had a garage in the early 80s in the Arches yard it was right at the top The Sheffield Rustproof Centre/MS Cars Ltd,the doors were painted black,red & yellow.Inside we opened up a few of the old arches inside,we were told that's where the elephants were put & were used when they needed to move heavy objects due to the bombing.The rat's inside were massive a foot long,my nephew Chris ran a mile when he saw it.

has anyone seen the bullet holes in the front and back of the wicker archers my dad showed me when i was a kid and u can actully see all the shrapnel and bullet holes in the walls as u approach the bridge coming from town towardsthe wicker if u look under the bridge on the left hand side u can see where a failed bomb becme stuck but didnt go off my parents told me this attack was o a large convoy of petrol and oil if this had exploded the whole town and a lot of war proucing arms factorys would have been destroyed

I remember the bullet holes or were they shrapnel marks, the old Gaumont also had bullet and shrapnel damage on its facade but sometime in the sixties they were filled in, so much for nostalgia.

I had a garage in the early 80s in the Arches yard it was right at the top The Sheffield Rustproof Centre/MS Cars Ltd,the doors were painted black,red & yellow.Inside we opened up a few of the old arches inside,we were told that's where the elephants were put & were used when they needed to move heavy objects due to the bombing.The rat's inside were massive a foot long,my nephew Chris ran a mile when he saw it.

Tosh,Regards the elephants story that is TOSH

Archived