Wicker Arches

I used to live in the Station Hotel from 1977 until 1981...My Dad was the landlord back then... and we did use the Hotel side of the business....we used to have a lot of workmen staying there.....I remember seeing the damage to the Arches...

I remember people staying there as hotel guests including a long term resident known as Kojak as a reference to his shaven head which was so unusual in those days.

I played the organ for Tony & Linda and the place was usually full to capacity and attracted lots of singers, some of them very good including a fine old trooper called Ray Coupland, who did a female singer act (Sheffields own Danny La Rue) singing Gracie Fields songs etc.

There was the mother of all Parties for the Silver Jubilee and all the regulars were a great crowd.

Pity there's nothing left like that these days and such a shame that the Station has had such a sad fate.

Does anyone know of any pubs that were in or around the arches during WWII or just after - any pub names would be great.

Just up from Wicker Arches, on the left as you go up Spital Hill, there was a pub called The Lodge, or The Lodge Inn. We called it The Lodge. My Dad's favourite in 40's/50's and possibly later.

FALLS They bailey bridge was taken down refurbished in Rotherham .It is now part of the seven weirs walk and spans the river don behind they Thos W Ward factory

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I did the Five Weirs Walk (Blonk Street to Meadowhall) in Oct. 06 and crossed the Bailey Bridge you metioned. I wondered if was the Matthews Bridge at a new location.

Regards

Hi Falls, remember all this, I had an acc; with Matthews from 1948 to 1970 it was the best timber in Sheffield in my opinion, mr Matthews was a real gent, as was mr Bourne who ran it till it closed after MATT ; retired, Cheers Arthur.ps did you ever see the old bike that was dredged from the Don, wooden wheels, pedals on front wheel , think it went to a museum, very interesting.

Hi Arthur,

I remember MATT and seem to recall that he used to drive from the Mill over to the yard in an Ex WD Jeep. This would be about the time you began to do business with Matthews. Do you remember any of this?

You'll recall there were plenty of Ex WD trucks, Jeeps and even motor cycles, floating around Sheffield in those post-war days.

Regards

Archived