Sewing class wanted

Hi, does anyone know of a good sewing class / teacher in Sheffield? I have tried the Sheffield College but didn't find that very helpful. I have done some sewing before, but never learnt it properly, would like to learn different stitches and how to sew my own clothes. The courses I have seen advertised so far all take place during the day which is no good to me. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

When you say 'different stitches', are you interested in the decorative aspects of sewing, for example machine embroidery? There are several excellent City & Guilds distance learning courses if so, which I can point you in the direction of.

I haven't investigated courses for sewing clothes, but I'll have a look around for you, if you're interested. The City and Guilds courses are particularly useful as they're modular and you can generally work at them at your own pace.

You might find this link helpful. Click on 'Impartial advice on careers and learning' and then on 'advanced search' on the right-hand side of the screen.

Thanks for your replies, I would be interested in the women only course, Chuckle, it would be great if you could give me more details. I think in general I prefer courses with a teacher in a group rather than distant learning.

Hi Chuckle, thanks for info, it's a shame it's daytime. That's quite often the trouble with courses, hm.

Hi Hecate, different stitches etc, what I mean is things like hems, ie. how to deal with different materials like shorten sleaves of t-shirts, I have just got this impression that there is much more to sewing than what I know so far, and I am just no good at sitting down on my own with a book or so...

Somebody recommended that fabric shop in H'boro, so next time I get there I will enquire.

• 2 years later...

I can totally recommend the Dressmaker's Workshop in High Green. There are small classes there on Monday and Tuesday nights in Dressmaking and Fabric Art. Sheila who takes the class is lovely, and teaches at your own pace. The number is 2846868.

Archived