Who is your deceased idol?

sufc_tom

Oh don't trouble yourself about it, old bean. I'm sure we'd all have our minds in a spin if we'd spent all day on a searching post-Foucauldian analysis of football hooliganism, or whatever it is you sociological coves get up to these days.

Post-post Foucauldian, actually. Move with the times, my good Captain.

sid james

eric morcambe

benny hill

kenny everett

buddy holly

ritchie valens

ricky nelson

Nice to see Benny Hill in your list. In the late 60s, early 70s [when I was but a fledgling], his shows were an absolute hoot. As even Ben Elton has recently grudgingly acknowledged, Benny Hill's earlier material was genuinely innovative, often deeply, bitingly satirical and extremely funny. There were flashes of brilliance in his later years, until he sadly resorted to repetition of old material and what Spike Milligan called, 'the Big Boobs payoff'. Even in his twilight years though , he was still capable of being occasionally highly amusing. Frankly, his wicked, knowing expression is enough to make me laugh.

I loved his 'German tourist' who feigned a poor command of English, substituting saucy expressions for banal ones [i.e, the corny, 'Of all ze girls in England, I like you bust'...'No, you mean best'...pause and slight smirk...'Vos ist bust?' etc], and his version of Mastermind in which he portrayed an icy Magnus Magnusson.

Also great, and rather brave considering the threat Britain faced from Republican terrorism, was his sketch in which an IRA informer was interviewed by a television journalist. The journalist was 'blacked out', with the nervous informer fully exposed in a comic reversal of how things were done at the time.

My favourite was the Australian hippy guru [probably modelled on Gong's Daevid Allen] given to making zen-like pronouncements such as 'Love is a dumpling' . When the journalist interviewing him [Henry Magee] politely asks, 'Why is love a dumpling?' , Hill's hippy replies, 'Well, if we're gonna bleedin' argue about it!'. Wonderful.

Just my dad,he was my idol.He was'nt rich or famous just a decent human being who tought me so much .I would just like to say to him one more time thanks dad for everything you did for me.

Absolutely; well said:thumbsup: .

I think, in my case anyway, that you really begin to appreciate your parents once you become one yourself. It's when you struggle to balance your finances, your business, your children's needs (which always come first), their schooling and your own free time (which is crucial to remain sane), you wonder how your parents made it look so easy!

Mikomi, you hit the nail on the head. Dads are heroes; so are mums, but like you, my father passed away some years since and his void is immense. Rarely does a day pass by without my having something to remind me about my dad - it could be sparked off by a song on the radio, someone I meet, a programme on television. It could be a place where I am or even a smell I inhale.

Gosh you're so right. Dad: What an absolute hero.

'Rock stars?', 'Film Idols?' Pah - they're not worth the time of day.

Archived