Martial artists... what do you eat...

Catt

I'm learning about nutrition and am interested in the diets of sheffield martial artists ....

It would be great if you could post what martial art you practise and your typical daily menu, including any supplements you take and what you drink....If you do eat specific foods to aid your training it would be great if you could say why...

Thanks in advance....

BTW I'm not using this material for anything specific, i'm literally just interested and it might be a nice way for martial artists to share knowledge / info...

jiu jitsu, train and teach.

I eat pretty much like a normal person. Right now i'm having two steak and mushroom pies with gravy and bread and butter.

I don't take any supplements or eat anything specific for training.

The key to good nutrition is just a balanced diet, nothing more, nothing less :D

I don't have the best diet, especially having just returned from a mini-holiday thing in Edinburgh where I've eaten mostly kebabs and chinese buffets until very very full.

But normally I eat a fairly balanced diet, reasonable amount of fruit and veg, not too much meat.

Been thinking of having a pop at protein shakes and possibly those big barrels of powder energy drink - anyone have any experience with these? Good, bad, long-term health implications?

Crayfish

Welcome back buddy. Stay away from protein supplements. Stick to normal food and a good diet.

If you want to bulk up then just eat protein and do strength training. Simple as that really.

Dont force yourself to gain weight, your performance will not be the same as it was at 67kg.

Just my opinion thats all.

hi, i do wing chun. i dont have a typical days diet just some self-guidelines:

try to cook one meal a day containing pulses. go in for lots of greens like spinach and kale. dont eat red meat but often eat oily fish, occasional bit of chicken.

generally get a some fruit down mi thrapper each day.

most days some soy

take senior multivits/mins (lamberts, gauge my multis by how much B12 as a rule of thumb, under 5mcg forget it)

take Q10 and glucosamine( HCl not sulphate coz better for bones)

mostly avoid pastries and bisuits these days- trans fats

although partial to a tipple am phasing in more red wine

I eat porridge in a morning with either egg whites (an acquired taste) or if im at work just put a scoop of whey protein in. I then try to eat 5-6 meals a day (at least 4 with a protein shake) with fruit/nuts in there too.

My meals consist of chicken (lots of), fish (salmon and cod) and lots of carbs (pasta, rice and bread)

I take a multibionta suppliment in the am with a cod liver oil tablet and then take 3 glucosamine at various stages of the day.

I stress that i am doing this to put muscle on and train with weights 3 times a week with a routine that supplements my BJJ training. I am quite ripped at the mo and have put 4 kg on in the past 2 months.

I eat porridge in a morning with either egg whites (an acquired taste) or if im at work just put a scoop of whey protein in. I then try to eat 5-6 meals a day (at least 4 with a protein shake) with fruit/nuts in there too.

My meals consist of chicken (lots of), fish (salmon and cod) and lots of carbs (pasta, rice and bread)

I take a multibionta suppliment in the am with a cod liver oil tablet and then take 3 glucosamine at various stages of the day.

I stress that i am doing this to put muscle on and train with weights 3 times a week with a routine that supplements my BJJ training. I am quite ripped at the mo and have put 4 kg on in the past 2 months.

A lot of carbs, quality protein (chicken and a variety of fish) and plenty of fruit and veg tends to be the way forward for a serious martial athlete

Archived