Blades Chat #5 Discuss United here

Norton

Average league attendances back to 92/93 season - all rounded down as it was easier.

Wendy      Blades
05/06 24k Champ  23k Champ
04/05 23k Lge 1  19k Champ
03/04 22k Div 2  21k Div 1
02/03 20k Div 1  18k Div 1
01/02 20k Div 1  18k Div 1
00/01 19k Div 1  17k Div 1
99/00 24k Prem   13k Div 1
98/99 26k Prem   16k Div 1
97/98 28k Prem   17k Div 1
96/97 25k Prem   16k Div 1
95/96 24k Prem   12k Div 1
94/95 26k Prem   14k Div 1
93/94 27k Prem   19k Prem
92/93 27k Prem   18k Prem

You can see from that lot that United had a few years out in the wilderness but have been steadily building a good fan base roughly since Warnock has been around. It also shows that Premier football attracts more fans (Wendy fans don't seem to be able to get their heads round this bit). We managed to attract another 10k fans since 99/00 and that's staying in the same division.

Average league attendances back to 92/93 season - all rounded down as it was easier.

Wendy      Blades
05/06 24k Champ  23k Champ
04/05 23k Lge 1  19k Champ
03/04 22k Div 2  21k Div 1
02/03 20k Div 1  18k Div 1
01/02 20k Div 1  18k Div 1
00/01 19k Div 1  17k Div 1
99/00 24k Prem   13k Div 1
98/99 26k Prem   16k Div 1
97/98 28k Prem   17k Div 1
96/97 25k Prem   16k Div 1
95/96 24k Prem   12k Div 1
94/95 26k Prem   14k Div 1
93/94 27k Prem   19k Prem
92/93 27k Prem   18k Prem

You can see from that lot that United had a few years out in the wilderness but have been steadily building a good fan base roughly since Warnock has been around. It also shows that Premier football attracts more fans (Wendy fans don't seem to be able to get their heads round this bit). We managed to attract another 10k fans since 99/00 and that's staying in the same division.

I would like to bring your attention to this year though.

03/04 22k Div 2 21k Div 1

Not bad for a third tier team, is it? That's our point; not numbers, but ardent devotion. To me that's loyalty & a little...'sexual'. :)

Are you feeling ok, Stuff? :suspect: Seriously man, i'm worried about you.

Jus feeling balanced... or is that unbalanced??

Yes, we'll get a higher average than Wendy this year, but what will it be like if (when?) we go down? It's well-known we have a lot of woodwork fans who only come out for the big games. Our season ticket sales went up 50% this summer, yes we're more successful but doesn't it p*ss other Blades off a bit how many fair-weather fans we've got? Where have these extra fans been for the past 12 years?

Jus feeling balanced... or is that unbalanced??

Yes, we'll get a higher average than Wendy this year, but what will it be like if (when?) we go down? It's well-known we have a lot of woodwork fans who only come out for the big games. Our season ticket sales went up 50% this summer, yes we're more successful but doesn't it p*ss other Blades off a bit how many fair-weather fans we've got? Where have these extra fans been for the past 12 years?

It annoys me that about 5,000 blades have suddenly appeared where the hell were they last season. What about the Villa game the other season only 14,000 at the lane for that game. Will that be the same when Villa are here this season i doubt it. Not alot we can do about it though which is annoying.

I have to admit that I bought a season ticket this year for the first time in about 4/5 years.

The main reason for that is so that I can go to games! Without one I doubt I'd get to see them at all this year.

Over recent years I haven't bought a season ticket simply because I knew I wouldn't be able to make a certain number of games throughout the season, so I bought my tickets online for the games that I could attend. There's no way I could do that this season so I've had to buy a season ticket knowing full well I won't be there for all the home games.

There may be others in the same situation as me, but following Saturday's game I suspect many are parents who have treated their kids to the tickets so that they can see Premiership footy locally and cheaply.

Hillsborough is a decent stadium.... but old... you may at the moment be a premier league team but your stadium is far from it, Stamford Bridge, St James park, Old Trafford, it aint.... you are in a better position than us... cos we are skint.... as for bigger... lets wait and see to answer than shall we... or maybe you should answer me this first.... where does a blade keep his loyalty? and and where were all you so called true fans when you were crap?? how many season tickets did you sell back then?? when we went down our season ticket sales went up..... so lets wait and see......how many utd fans stay if/when that happens... i honestly wish utd all the best in the premier league we both know its going to be a bumpy ride... as for growing up having to accept YOU are premier league.... the league says you are... your ground may look a little premier league.... but your support and loyalty is still Conference.... you cant just sing when your winning mate!

owl4life.

We lost last night & I am still singing,I have been a Blade for 43 years & followed from 60s to Division 4 to the top flight & as for our ground not being Premiereship are your eye's painted on it is fantastic & modern.As for loyalty being in the Conference that is a stupid remark,all clubs who are promoted get more fans,it is called jumping on the bandwagon.The Owls had more in the top flight than they have now,so where have they gone??.I live in Barnsley now & the amount of Barnsley people support the Owls than there own home town club.

as for our ground not being Premiereship are your eye's painted on it is fantastic & modern.

In comparison to hillsbrough?

South stand 30 years old, still one of the best stands in the country.

Kop, 15 years old about and going to be rebuilt and extended in the next couple of years.

John St Stand, few years old.

The only old stand we have is the bramall lane stand and that has been done up and the corner between that stand and the southstand has been filled in.

What have Wednesday had done to their ground in the last 20 years with the exception of Leppings Lane.

It always comes back to attendances doesn't it :) It's the only thing Wendy can hold on to.

If you actually look at them they're not even that impressive - last season in the Prem Wendy were averaging 24k which is hardly pulling trees up is it.

It always does mate because you are right thats all they have to hold on to .

How about a league table comparison to see who the best footballing team has been in Sheffield and Yorkshire the last few years :D

The thing is with the Blades, we know we are the lesser supported team but the 15,000-16,000 base we have are the loyalist in football :thumbsup:

Oh dear I see you got a battering tonight at Tottenham, never mind you clowns you'll have to get used to that sort of thing all SEASON long:hihi:

QUOTE]

2-0 a battering :gag:

Call the vetenarian this PIGS dillusional .

2-0 at Spurs is quite good considering they were the 5th best team in England last season and should have been in the Champions League.

Just wondering what the score would have been if it had been the current wendy side that had played there last night :hihi: :hihi: Be more of a rugby score than a football score I am guessing :D

Archived