Blades Chat #5 Discuss United here

Norton

Gobsmacked/Stunned/ these are a few words of how I feel & so many Blades fans today, we played really well & deserved to win, but our strikers have got to start hitting the target, if they cannot score from a penalty it is worrying, but the upside on the penalty misses Unsworth & Hulse could play for England neither can score from the spot.I knew when Unsworth was about to take the penalty he would miss & I said to my wife when we got the second , we cannot miss again can we, we sure did.We are 3rd from bottom & the same points as Arsenal so I think we are going to storm up the league when our strikers find their boots. Bring on Reading.

I agree, although if I was Warnock I would keep Naude out at present ,he needs to get used to the English pace, and physically he is not at the races at present.I moaned about chances, or rather the lack of them in previous games ,today we created a hatfull ,and for the first time this season were the

best side.The good thing is generally we were sound in defence, we just need to start scoring.

What an improvement after Spurs & Fulham.Leigertwood,Jags and Morgan were excellent.Much more optimism after that and even 5 hrs later I cant believe we didnt win the game.On the minus side,Tonge was poor,Armstrong slow and Ifill was...well Ifilll.It'll come though.:)

Generally a good performance, decent penalty saves from Friedel who I've always rated. Thought he was jammy at the end though.

Plenty of encouragement to be taken from the performance

My match report:

It was a tale of three missed penalties as both teams searched in vain for their first win of the season today. On the back of two straight defeats at the hands of Spurs and Fulham, the Blades looked to bounce back in positive fashion despite the clutch of injuries that has plagued the club this week. Leigertwood retained his place in midfield with Jagielka providing cover in defence. Sommeil started for the injured Bromby whilst Ifill started on the right of midfield following his recovery from illness.

It was Blackburn who had the first chance to score with Jeffers receiving the ball in acres of space in the United area. He failed to connect with his head however, and the ball sailed wide. Hulse was receiving ample service from midfield but was seemingly finding it difficult under pressure to find the final touch to send the ball home. Armstrong’s diagonal cross into the box from the left wing was particularly inviting but the former Leeds man failed to connect, knocking the ball wide on the volley.

Rather worryingly for Blades fans was the early exit of Danny Webber less than half way through the first half with a reported groin strain, to be replaced by Christian Nade. Nade’s first contribution to the game was to spoon the ball high and wide for a Friedel goal kick after some positive build up by the Blades. Ifill was particularly important on the wing showing strength and pace but unfortunately, the Blades pressure amounted to nothing.

Blackburn were quick on the counter-attack and more than eager to capitalise on any Blades mistakes. A lofted Jagielka clearance was picked up by Bentley in midfield who’s cross to Pederson was headed wide of Kenny’s net.

United had a strong claim for a penalty waved away by Mike Dean after Hulse was seemingly dragged down in the box but went on to award Blackburn a nothing freekick on the half way line. Morton Gamst Pederson shot wide from distance and the Blades picked up a gear as two minutes added time was announced. A succession of corners produced nothing for the Blades and the sides trudged in level at half time.

McCarthy and Tonge were responsible for the main chances each of the sides had created; the latter heading wide after his chance was well worked. Warnock then opted for speed giving new signing Colin Kazim-Richards his first run out in a Blades shirt, replacing Paul Ifill just after the hour mark.

There was little to choose between the sides until on 70 minutes, Mike Dean pointed to the United penalty spot claiming Unsworth had impeded McCarthy in the box. Despite injury concerns during the week, Kenny proved his worth to the Blades as he dived the right way to prevent Neill scoring his first goal of the season. Shortly after, Rovers on-loan signing Shabani Nonda was brought on for Benni McCarthy, to make his debut for the Lancashire club.

United were lifted by the penalty save and Hulse was fouled and strangely also booked, for a tussle with Khizanishvili as the Blades man surged forward and only three minutes later, the Blades were awarded a penalty of their own. Unfortunately, Friedel proved he was more than equal to Unsworth’s effort, diving to save and preventing the Blades going ahead. The Blades defender was devastated at his wasted chance but less than ten minutes later, the Blades were awarded yet another penalty (it’s a given we won’t get another for the rest of the season now.)

Despite Paddy’s efforts to encourage Unsworth to try again, Hulse was the man to step up this time as Friedel saved again, this time to his left. It seems the best two chances of the match came from open play with Jeffers only just heading wide from a Bentley cross and Friedel’s legs somehow keeping Hulse out from close range.

An exciting affair for both teams at the Lane but hardly the result either side was hoping for as both the Blades and the Rovers stay rooted around the relegation zone of the Premiership table with only a couple of points apiece.

Sheffield United: Kenny, Unsworth, Morgan, Jagielka, Sommeil, Ifill (Kazim-Richards 65), Tonge (Quinn 82), Armstrong, Leigertwood, Hulse, Webber (Nade 18). Unused subs: Akinbiyi, Kozluk.

Blackburn Rovers: Friedel, Emerton, Ooijer, Khizanishvili, Neill, Bentley, Tugay, Savage, Gamst, Jeffers, McCarthy (Nonda 72). Unused subs: Mokoena, Gallagher, Brown, Peter.

Photos aren't up yet... technical bugs in the works :)

Best 0-0 i have seen for a long long time.

It was the first time this season i have seen us create an actualy clear cut chance, and how nice it was to see. Only for hulse to decide to snap at it and put it wide, but it sent a message that we was going to threaten in this game.

I think Blackburn only had 2 shots on target, including the penalty.

Hulse had chance to have an hat trick, cant believe unsworth missed a penalty either. But the performance was there and that made me more optimistic.

One thing of note is not that many that not that many teams are actually winning away from home this season,

Also, great view from the corner stand, reminds me of good ol days of bramall lane upper tier :D

And i dint even hear the blackburn rown once all the way through

Brian Kidd, the former Manchester United and England coach, last night agreed to join Neil Warnock's staff at Sheffield United, thus disappointing Roy Keane, who hoped to attract him to Sunderland.

Someone expressed concerns about not having enough in midfield with Jags in defence but I thought Leigertwood was outstanding, especially first half. He got tackles in, he was good on the ball, and on the evidence of Saturday seems to have found his feet in the Prem after looking nervous previously.

Hulse was strong but that first half miss was a bad one - he had all the time in the world. His pen and the chance at the end were more unlucky I thought.

CKR looked half-decent and maybe worth a try up front with Hulse.

Ifill was his usual self - looked dangerous in parts but when he got passed defenders it was more by luck than skill.

Tonge was quiet and should've been replaced by Quinn earlier.

Thought Sommeil played well, and the defence as a whole looked solid apart from a couple of crosses early on.

After the lack of creativity in the first 3 games, this was far more encouraging! Looking forward to Saturday!! :)

Archived