Blades Chat #5 Discuss United here

Norton

Here's my match report and pictures from a very entertaining game at the reserves last night:

The first home match of the Blades new season in the Premiership Reserve League North kicked off at Saltergate with a top of the table clash against Middlesbrough, who scored five past Wigan Athletic at home on the first day of the Reserve season.

The Blades played a mixture of youth and experience with a number of players being given the opportunity to test their fitness after the recent series of injuries. Defenders Short, Davis and Bromby were passed fit to play and started alongside Wright in the back four. Geary, Stephen Quinn, Law and Naughton made up the midfield with Akinbiyi and new signing Colin Kazim-Richards making his first start in Blades colours. The visitors welcomed £6 million pound signing Robert Huth to the side and veteran midfielder Ray Parlour started in the middle of the park. £8 million pound Italian striker Massimo Maccarone also started the game.

The Blades started brightly with Geary given free reign of the right wing and pushing forward with some determination. The first clear chance however, fell to Middlesbrough from a corner after some good attacking play by Maccarone to Craddock. From the resulting corner, Huth’s weak shot was blocked in the box only to trigger a United counter-attack with Quinn who ran the full length of the pitch to unselfishly pass to a waiting Nicky Law on the edge of the box, who’s shot went out for a corner.

Huth definitely didn’t get an easy start to his Middlesbrough career trying to keep tabs on Colin Kazim-Richards who looked dangerous throughout with some excellent touches on the ball. An early attack sparked by an intelligent Kazim-Richards flick forced a corner. Geary delivered long to Short whose header back across the box fell to Akinbiyi five yards out who managed to aim the ball straight at the waiting Turnbull.

Akinbiyi certainly wasn’t going to have the rub of the green tonight as another shot deflected off the angle of the goal shortly before the Blades took the lead on 16 minutes. A Nicky Law freekick found Short unmarked in the Middlesbrough box. His powerful header hit the bar, bounced back off the line and into the path of an advancing Derek Geary who could not miss from such short range.

Middlesbrough started to get into the game with Ray Parlour trying to thread Danny Graham through in the United box. The latter failed to get a touch on the ball as it trickled out for a goalkick. A succession of four corners saw Middlesbrough fail to really threaten but Graham was responsible for a glaring shot over with only Bennett in the United net left to beat after a Maccarone cross.

The Blades nearly gifted the visitors a ball after Claude Davis cheeky back header to Bennett from only two yards out caught the keeper by surprise but Turnbull had been the far busier of the two keepers as the half time whistle blew.

The Blades came back with much of the same in the second half as Law shot wide under pressure after good work by Quinn and Naughton pushing forward. There was a nervous moment for the Blades after Davis went down injured after only 15 minutes of the second half but got back to his feet and continued.

Nicky Law was again involved in rattling the cross bar with a cross that deflected off a Middlesbrough defender, only for Evan Horwood, who had earlier replaced Kyle Naughton, to hit exactly the same spot after his shot from distance after 70 minutes.

Bromby still does not look fully fit and allowed attackers to cheaply get beyond him on occasion but Short was a rock, as ever, in the centre. Injuries however, struck again as Quinn was forced off the field close to time with what looked like a knee complaint, to be replaced by Gyaki.

Akinbiyi missed the best Blades chance of the game as the end of the half approached as he failed to get on to the end of Bromby’s inviting header across the Middlesbrough goal. The visitors rallied to try and secure an equalizer as Goulon fired over with the last shot of the game.

All in all, a very entertaining game of football and a gelled team performance from the Blades.

Sheff-Utd Man of the Match: Colin Kazim-Richards

Sheffield United: Bennett; Bromby, Wright, Davis (Roma 80), Short, Quinn (Gyaki 87), Geary, Law, Akinbiyi, Kazim-Richards, Naughton (Horwood 56). Unused subs: Robertson, Marrison.

Middlesbrough: Turnbull; McMahon, Hines, Huth (Grounds 61), Bates, Kennedy, Craddock, Parlour (Goulon 75), Graham, Maccarone (Hutchinson 79), Owens. Unused sub: Steele

Another Balloon, I rest my case.

Spelling lessons next week, not near Bramall Oink Lane, but far away, another TV supporter...

Still laughing, or is it laffing, me old sir..?

WEDNESDAY TIL I DIE

Just got back from my vacation retreat in the country so it's the first opportunity to respond.

Nothing wrong with being a TV supporter when you can't get the real thing.

But talking about the real thing, how would you know, being a Wednesday supporter ? Maybe spelling and support for a team go hand in hand, poor spelling, poor team.Just a theory of mine. I don't have a problem with people not getting the correct spelling but if you set yourself up as a target don't act surprised when you get shot down.

If you can't get big words right don't use them, look for alternatives. "Wound up" is a good alternative for "adjitated"

But then you're probably frantically looking up attendance figures instead:

I see where that Barmby (sic) doesn't even want to go Wednesday on loan.

How the "mighty" have fallen.:hihi:

no im just sick of people on the wind up on this thread constantly!

i agree- we should leave your thread alone too!

Scott, I'm with you on this. There are certain Wednesday supporters who have absolutely nothing to contribute but come on here with their inane comments. I won't say banter because it's not even close to that. It's more akin to playground taunts.

I know that most of their supporters don't fit this and do subscribe to good natured banter, which is o.k. by me.

At this moment in time there seems to be one particularly obnoxious person posting frequently with nothing of value and a poor speller, to boot.

I can tolerate the bad spelling if he wouldn't persist in using the same badly spelled word more than once in order to wind people up.

There's probably some psychological reason for this, envy, most likely.:thumbsup:

Scott, I'm with you on this. There are certain Wednesday supporters who have absolutely nothing to contribute but come on here with their inane comments. I won't say banter because it's not even close to that. It's more akin to playground taunts.

I agree. If they want to make genuine comments on the Blades then fair enough, otherwise why not stick to the Owls thread or start another "blades v owls" banter thread?

It gets a bit tedious having to wade through the childish posts on here sometimes. :huh:

Archived