Wing Chun Classes

Yes, Sifu William Lai trains on every Saturdays at 6-7.30pm.

He trains students according to his/her mastery of skills at every levels. It all depends on students' diligency, determination and persevance in training.

Some clubs, perhaps for economic reasons, teach students all the forms and techniques in a short period and ask students to do fitness exercise in the class in order to retain their interest.

On the contrary, as I understand, Sifu Lai does not earn his living by training students and it is his belief that success in mastery of Wing Chun is by proper training. Anyone who is interested in Wing Chun should read his training programme at his site http://www.wingchun.me.uk or http://www.geocities.com/williamlaiwingchun

Someone told me that there is a club in London where you can be trained as a instructor in one year. Too commercial!!

Some of you know that Wing Chun comes from Hong Kong where all the most senior masters reside. They incorporated Ving Tsun Althletic Association to regulate Wing Chun practitioners all over the world. So please check whether the sifu whom you want to train with is recognised by the Association. It is going to hold a world conference in this November in Hong Kong. You can visit its site by clicking the link at Sifu Lai's site for information.

I trust the above information is helpful.

Sleepingcat

Originally posted by sleepingcat

Yes, Sifu William Lai trains on every Saturdays at 6-7.30pm.

He trains students according to his/her mastery of skills at every levels. It all depends on students' diligency, determination and persevance in training.

Sleepingcat

...and ability to relax in the shoulder area, which some people might find especially hard (dependent on their physical ability/history), no matter how diligent, determined and perservering they are... ;)

Anvil,

Relaxation in Wing Chun training is very important in order to master it. I agree that it is not easy to do so. To overcome this hurdle students need to train their minds to be calm and relax during training. When practising chi sau (sticking hands) students need to react with their feeling. Practise makes perfect!!!

It is human behaviour that you will automatically turn your hand to the right if someone push your hand to the left. You need to focus and set your mind that you will ignore this influence by moving your hand forward. It is a mental training.

If Wing Chun can be mastered easily then it is not a good skill.

Sleepingcat

ANVIL,

Anyone with fit body and mind will be able to achieve it under a good sifu's training. Are you up to the challenage?

Sleepingcat [/b]

1. Having a fit body is one thing - having a body fit for Wing Chun is another. Some people simply do not have the physical requirements to progress very far under Sifu Lai's training. He once spoke of a man who was heavily into weight training/bodybuilding and as a result he was not able to progress. This man obviously had a fit body, but it wasn't fit for Wing Chun (does a fit body and lots of training enable one to run 100m in less than 10 seconds? No, talent/natural ability is also necessary).

2. If you don't posses the natural ability/talent that is required to progress, the length of time that is involved it is simply not economic - the return you get on your time investment is negligible compared to other disciplines. I've studied Wing Chun under Sifu Lai and I worked very hard, putting in hours of training each week. However my progress was slow because I don't possess the ability that is required. This is illustrated by the fact that other students easily equalled and surpassed my level of skill in a much shorter duration. It is mathematically impossible for those people to have trained for more hours - they simply had more ability than me.

This then begs the question 'how long do I continue to invest so much time for so little reward?'. If Wing Chun was the only effective martial art then maybe I'd have continued for longer, but it isn't the only effective martial art and I've since found that my attributes are more suited to other disciplines. I studied for 2 years under Sifu Lai and i enjoyed it while it lasted, but I'm making much more progress in the discipline that i'm currently studying than I did in Wing Chun - this isn't because my current discipline is easier or a lesser skill, I'm simply more suited to it.

Archived