Whirlow Bridge Inn

If you search on http://www.picturesheffield.com you'll find three pictures of the Inn. It was demolished in 1938,and 2 houses were built on the site by the owner of Whirlow Brook, Sir Walter Benton Jones, for his staff.The houses are still there, on the curved road off Ecclesall Rd South, opposite the junction with Limb Lane. When the Inn was there, this was the main road, but it was straightened because of the number of accidents on what was a dangerous bend, leaving this loop of the old road as a quiet side road.

Hi,

I may be wrong but I think the Inn was close to what is now the entrance to Whirlow Park. You will recall that there is row of houses, close to the park entrance, standing on a kind of service road. Until the 1950's, when the Corporation straightened it, this used to be the main road.

I'f I'm correct, the Inn was in the sharp bend in the corner - between the houses and where the bus stop is, or where it used to be be.

Regards

Hi thanks for your help - that website with all the photos on is fantastic - it even has a picture of Ellen Greaves later on in life with her husband Hiram Trotter

it won't let me post the pic because I haven't made 15 posts yet!

I do not live in Sheffield but I am going up on Bank Holiday Monday, so I'll probably add this to the list of places to visit!

I don't know whether you know this, but Hiram Trotter worked at the Wire Mill at Ringinglow (no longer there). The cottage where the photo was taken is probably one of a row still standing in Ringinglow village. If you pay a visit, the wire mill was behind the cottages, and the photo was probably taken at the back. I've a few more details about Hiram Trotter if you're interested, but if you are could you PM me with an email address as it's a bit long and off topic for this thread.(You'll need to have made 5 posts before you can PM. If it's a problem just say and I'll put it on the thread instead.)

Hi Algy. Hiram and Ellen Trotter were my great, great, great grandparents. I seem to have come quite far in tracing my tree, it is as if I know them now. They died in 1903 and 1905 respectfully, but still, I have managed to find quite a few photos of them and their family. Sheffield seems to be a place that respects its history and heritage and I'm glad to be part of that. I have heard about the wire mill, although I didn't actually know that he worked there - I have a book all about the Fulwood Valley and its inhabitants and it has helped me no end. I am planning on visiting Ringinglow on my trip to Sheffield so all of this information is very useful to me. I'll post a bit more and pm you

how do you know all this? are you a historian?

I'm a volunteer archaeologist with the Friends of the Porter Valley. A group of us have been researching the history of quarrying and mining in the area, and Ringinglow had quite a few mines, one of them belonging to the wire mill. There's a report due out soon based on the research.