Whirlow Bridge Inn

Algy, Do you know anything about the quarry and pipe works that apparently stood behind where Hangingwater Cottages are now?

Hi Simon

I've had a ferret through our stuff, and not had much success really. We haven't found any info about a quarry, the only thing we turned up was a reference in a document in the Local Studies Library, which referred to a brickworks rather than a pipe works on the site, which worked from 1901 to 1915 and made very good bricks. It's from an offprint of an A4 paper a few pages long by Graham Hague on the Brickmaking industry in Sheffield, from the Local Studies Library. You can still pick out the back wall of the shale pit behind the houses, but other than that there isn't much still visible. The shales are of Lower Coal

Measures age, just below the Crawshaw Sandstone. Perhaps someone else will be able to add more. Sorry I can't be more help.

That's right, the bricks were made from the shales, and in common with the other small brickworks in the Sheffield area, the raw materials were dug on site. It seems when the rock being removed was hard rock, it was called a quarry. When it was soft rock such as shale it was called a pit.

As far as Hangingwater Lodge is concerned, I haven't heard it called that, but I think it might be what I know as Whiteley Wood Lodge, which stood in the angle of Hangingwater Road and Whiteley Wood Road.The Whiteley Wood connection was because Whiteley Wood Road (upto 1912 called Meadow Lane) was a private carriage road and public bridleway between Hangingwater Road and the bottom of Trap Lane. There were gates at both ends, and the lodge was by the gates at the bottom end, so was probably a gatehouse lodge for what was in effect a private drive to Whiteley Wood Hall.There's a photo of the lodge and gate on Picturesheffield.com (ref no s05401) and of the gateposts at the top end (ref no s20568). (That should read s20568, dunno where the smiley came from but I can't get rid of it!) As to the exact position, the Allotments people at Shefield Council have an early plan of the Hangingwater allotments, which also shows the junction with the lodge marked. (I've put a copy at http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Algy/Lodge/hangingwaterlodge.jpg ). On the other hand if you know otherwise, I'd be glad of any info you have!

• 6 years later...

Hello Lil_Merricks

I have just been reading this thread and it would appear that we have Hiram Trotter and Ellen Greaves in common - they are my great great grandparents (I am probably alot older than you!) Not sure if you might be interested in getting in touch - I would be interested to know which of Hiram and Ellen's children you are descended from. I am descended from their son Hiram and his son Hiram - there were an awful lot of them throughout the family!!!

Hi There CGB40,

Yes we do have Hiram and Ellen Greaves in Common - I am descended from their daughter Ellen Trotter who was born in 1872, so Ellen and Hiram would be my great, great, great grandparents (I'm 31). It has been a while since I have done much research into the family but I have quite a lot of information if you are interested :)

So that would be the lady who married James Henry Tibbenham and had 9 children, then! Are you aware that Hiram (the first) and Ellen Greaves are both buried in Fulwood churchyard along with one of the Flints - can't remember which one off the top of my head. They are quite near the church door. I would also be very interested in any information you may have, and I have quite a bit which I am happy to share with you :-)

Yes that's right. Their daughter Gladys was my great grandmother, she died when I was about 3 years so I just about remember her. She left a diary which I have in my possession talking about her early life. I have been to Fulwood and seen the grave, it is Jessie Flint that is buried with them. My great grandmother's diary tells a story about Jessie falling out with her family so perhaps that explains why. If you pm me I can give you more info

• 5 months later...

Hi,

it appears Hiram is my 3rd Great Grandfather. I am descended from their son, George Trotter who married Sarah Anne Bradley. I have only just started the family tree thingy so I will monitor your posts and maybe update you with any information which you may find relevant.

How interesting it is to see words from possible distant relations...

---------- Post added 14-04-2013 at 13:17 ----------

Just to note, I believe I am back to my 7th Great Grandfather on this family line, Francis Walker and Hannah Burrows. I may be wrong as I am only in the early stages but these people were born around 1715 and 1717. Amazing stuff...