Sheffield Model Cottage Exhibition

Strix

strix,they are real properties, not scale models, which real people lived in!

I'm sure recognise the properties in pic 4 (and 3?) as ones that were on the flower estate, shiregreen, near bluebell road school.(i think the school is called) perhaps along shiregreen lane?

I remember reading, somewhere, some time ago, that there was a competition to design an economical to build, and economical to run, workers property, and that funny row of different styles of property were the result of building to those designs.

I don't know if the properties are still standing, to be honest, as there was a lot of clearance on the flower estate, despite wholesale renovation in the area, about 20 yrs ago.

Yes, poppins, those houses were built almost a hundred years ago, when the main source of heating was coal fires, and there'd be a coal fire in at least two or three of the rooms, if not them all...

There'd be a coal-fired cooking-range in the kitchen, a fireplace in the "parlour", and the "master" bedroom, for sure, and perhaps in some of the styles of property, like my friends' old place on merlin way, firth park) there'd be a second room, a dining room/ smaller parlour/ sitting room, which would need a source of heat, and maybe in one or both of the back bedrooms, depending on the age of the property. (firth park and the flower estate were built from aboput 1910 to the late 1920s, IIRC)

The "newer", mid-war properties on districts like arbourthorne and manor (built circa 1935) had coal fires in the parlour and in the master bedroom, only.

P "Fount of Knowledge" T

Love the house prices on the bottom of each picture... made me wonder if these are council houses - When exactly did Sheffield start building houses for rent ?

They don't look like council built houses, but could be, what prices do you see on the bottom ? I can't see any.

There's a line underneath each pic, saying which model it is and how much it cost to build ... average about £200!

Yes I saw something but couldn't make it out, who owns them now ? or are they under some historical thing now.

Love the house prices on the bottom of each picture... made me wonder if these are council houses - When exactly did Sheffield start building houses for rent ?

Yes, they were built for the council.

It was a bit of a con, in some ways, I suppose; the cottages were built for the exhibition, and the council took them over, having not had the outlay of building them in the first place. (very crafty!)

The very first council housing, (according to my grandpa, who lived in the area concerned) was in the Townhead St/ Hawley Street/ Lee Croft/ Campo Cane areas, and Garden street, Lambert Street/ Furnace Hill (near the edward street flats), which were tenements. They were built about 110/120 yrs ago.

You can still see the Campo Lane/Townhead Street developments behind the Cathedral, today

Bearing in mind the probable age of the properties - 1920s do you think? They are actually quite expensive.

In the early 1950s my mum and dad bought their first house for £50, admittedly this was a terrace and probably smaller than the ones above. They sold it a few years later for £150 and my dad says they made a loss considering what they had done to improve it.

Archived